social situations

Discussion in 'The Uncertainty Principle' started by twilight, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilight

twilight Well-Known Member

I know I have said this before but I suck at social situations. Now I am wondering if it is possible to get over this or if I should just give up. I am so sick of hating myself for not being able to connect with other people and have them like me. I know that it might have something to do with the fact that my parents never act like they love me or tell me that they do. Will I ever be someone that people can enjoy spending time with or will I always fail miserably at this?

2. claycad

claycad Well-Known Member

I wish I could tell you there is hope, but I am unsure myself. I am 24 and have always had the same problems not being able to connect with people. I finally got the courage to go to therapy for it a few months ago. So far therapy hasn't really helped cause I don't really open up to my therapist the way I want.

If you haven't tried therapy and or meds for this yet, I would recommend it. I don't know how old you are, but I am 24 and have been well aware of this problem most of my life. I can't help but to think how much better my life might be now if I had gotten help back when I was 14 or so for this. If you haven't all ready, seek out therapy. Like I said, I am not going to say that you will ever overcome this problem, but I would almost guarantee you have no chance of overcoming it unless you get some therapy or counseling IMO.

3. hottignorance

hottignorance Active Member

"If you keep on trying... You will find someone.... Who will love you for who you are, not who you pretend to be...."

That's the answer I would love to give you.... But, I just don't know If I really believe in any of that love crap.....

Sorry.......

4. shicky

shicky Member

Do you know anything about social anxiety disorder? I don't know if you have it or not but it might be worth looking into.

5. twilight

twilight Well-Known Member

I was reading about social anxiety and it seems like I might have it. I am probably going to have to call a therapist tomorrow. I have heard many times that if you don't get help, things just get worse.

I can definately identify with what hottignorance says in her signature. I like the comfort of being alone but I hate feeling lonely.

6. tim

tim Guest

hey twilight i know what you mean. also, i thought that i had social anxiety, and a bunch of other disorders but my counselor told me that i dont. it kind of drives me nuts b/c idk whats wrong with me.. just making sure you dont make the same mistakes. i think the best thing for you to do is have a beer.

7. Twisted F

Twisted F Well-Known Member

Twilight, I've just started going to therapy and taking medication for the same problem. I haven't noticed any difference yet, but I'm hopeful and I wish you luck with getting the help you need. Social anxiety is a heavy burden to bear.

8. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

That perfectly describes me as well. Its pretty weird isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.