Social worker?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Hanging by a thread, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanging by a thread

Hanging by a thread Well-Known Member

Heya,

can anyone help me understand why I would need a social worker? I've had a call from the mental health team saying that I've got an appointment with a social worker! I'm under a psychologist at the moment just don't understand why I need or what a social worker does! I'm 25 so it's not like I'm a child!

Thanks
    Hanging

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Social worker can help with with many things they are someone to talk to and to help guide you in any area of life you need ok hugs

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya.

A social worker is often part of a person's support network in mental health. In addition to being someone to share things with, a social worker can help a client take a look at the big picture of the client's life to see where things are going well, where the person might find some changes helpful, and help the person know what options are available. The social worker is also knowledgeable about government agencies and services available in a person's area. Sometimes the social worker is like an advisor or advocate for a person - knows the processes and how to work through the system.

I don't think they're sending a social worker because they think you can't cope. More likely they want to make sure that you reach your goals and remain stable, and that you know what agencies to contact if you ever do need them.

Maybe the thing to do is have the appointment and find out why it was made and what the social worker thinks it's for...?

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Now if social workers were people with life experience not students fresh out of uni with their sociology degree I would have respect for social workers

Take child protection as an example - How can a social worker with no life experience decide whether to leave the child with the family or remove said child - I believe social workers should have their own life experience and their own family before taking on the role of child protection for example

:focus:

But in their role of Mental Health support they can be a great help Hanging By a Thread

5. unionfalls

unionfalls Well-Known Member

I had one because I was on a stay of commitment. I had to check in with him regularly and meet with him once a month. He verified with me and my supports, counselors, physiologist, and halfway house, that I was doing as they suggested. Made sure that I was taking my meds and helped me with my housing and job search (I had been homeless at this time). I found him to be of great help and support. I was 34 at the time and he oversaw this transition period for me for six months.

6. Hanging by a thread

Hanging by a thread Well-Known Member

I just don't know what they could do for me, just don't see anyway out x

7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

social workers can help you with your direction in life. Like if there are things you want to do, either work or hobby, they have the resources to help you. When I had one, she was kind of helping me make goals and talk, because I only had a psychiatrist. But today I don't have one. So it's not obligatory, if you feel you don't need her, just talk to her about it. It's no biggy, and has nothing to do with age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.