Socializing during covid

Dots

Misknown Member
So I've had a pretty bad few weeks. Hell, let's admit it, months and I calmed down today and concluded I want to try. I think some of that starts with socializing. Does anyone know of any good sites (support, hobby, chronic pain, etc) that do group video calls? If not video calls, then just chats? I'm trying to avoid the edge of the internet where the creepy things roam, so please don't send me there.

This isn't my first go to. In fact, I think it will be awkward as all hell, but well it's worth trying anything..... right?

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Certainly is worth giving it a go. Peer support amongst people with similar conditions can be quite beneficial in many ways. As is connecting with people who share similar hobbies. I'm not in your part of the world so I haven't a clue as to what groups to recommend. But hope you'll find some that will help.

Out of interest, what type of hobbies are you into?

Dots

Misknown Member
Certainly is worth giving it a go. Peer support amongst people with similar conditions can be quite beneficial in many ways. As is connecting with people who share similar hobbies. I'm not in your part of the world so I haven't a clue as to what groups to recommend. But hope you'll find some that will help.

Out of interest, what type of hobbies are you into?[/
to be clear, i havent participated in any of my interests in awhile...

and my hobbies need an update

but the ones that usually remain consistent when i pull myself out of my funk are reading, writing, drawing, gardening, some gaming... i also enjoy myself a debate or two.

so im willing to try anything except high impact sports

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Ahh gardening, something I like to tinker with myself at times, depending on the weather of course lol

so im willing to try anything except high impact sports
Lol yeah, something tells me that may not be the best of things to do. Personally, I prefer watching, my playing days are well over since college days which seems like and eternity ago.

Legate Lanius

Why would you want to be in video calls? A hobby group in text form can be referred to as a forum, of which there are several. Hope you find some good people to hang out with online, maybe look on reddit?

Legate Lanius

Human connection, theoretically.

Thanks, I've considered reddit, but I got the impression from people it was trollish and I'm looking for support as well as connection.
Do you live alone without a family? Tough during the pandemic. I can't connect with people so I don't know how that would work, but I spend time with my family IRL. I would say to pick a hobby and then try all of the forums (incl reddit) until you find one that you like. You can then move on to talking in voice chats with ppl u connect with.

Dots

Misknown Member
Do you live alone without a family? Tough during the pandemic. I can't connect with people so I don't know how that would work, but I spend time with my family IRL. I would say to pick a hobby and then try all of the forums (incl reddit) until you find one that you like. You can then move on to talking in voice chats with ppl u connect with.
Just me, my cat and my demons. I'll figure it out though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
I can really relate to your post. I'm in the same boat. I live in a rural area, alone with my cat. My parents are far away and I've found it hard to make and keep good friends or a support network since moving here a few years ago. I also enjoy reading, writing, drawing, and gardening but have no idea how to connect with others who share my interests. This place is very isolating and much more so this year. I wish I could make some suggestions, but have struggled to find any groups. I hope someone offers up some ideas for you. If so I may borrow them. Good luck and {{hugs}}

Dots

Misknown Member
I can really relate to your post. I'm in the same boat. I live in a rural area, alone with my cat. My parents are far away and I've found it hard to make and keep good friends or a support network since moving here a few years ago. I also enjoy reading, writing, drawing, and gardening but have no idea how to connect with others who share my interests. This place is very isolating and much more so this year. I wish I could make some suggestions, but have struggled to find any groups. I hope someone offers up some ideas for you. If so I may borrow them. Good luck and {{hugs}}
I'm sorry you're in my boat. I just moved to my area and before I could attempt to make friends, covid hit. I spent lockdown with my fiance and then he had to leave so here I am... if i find anything I will share them with you. *brohug

Hey the.end.ish, you say you like writing - have you considered doing National Novel Writing Month? ( https://nanowrimo.org/ )

Yes it's ambitious, but it's coming up in only a few days and there's usually a really active forum, with lots of regional groups. Maybe there are virtual write-ins going on in your time zone. It's always been a super friendly, encouraging space for me where I've never felt judged.

Another thing might be to look into self help groups in your city, there might be virtual options these days. I hope you find something that makes you feel connected.

Dots

Misknown Member
Hey the.end.ish, you say you like writing - have you considered doing National Novel Writing Month? ( https://nanowrimo.org/ )

Yes it's ambitious, but it's coming up in only a few days and there's usually a really active forum, with lots of regional groups. Maybe there are virtual write-ins going on in your time zone. It's always been a super friendly, encouraging space for me where I've never felt judged.

Another thing might be to look into self help groups in your city, there might be virtual options these days. I hope you find something that makes you feel connected.
Just looked into this. It actually looks really helpful and fun. Thank you for the link.

I am hoping they do have something local now. I looked at the beginning of covid and there was nothing, but hoping that has changed.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Perhaps you can research for some Discord groups of your interests, and join video chats there? I'm on Reddit sometimes it's not all trolls, just gotta search a bit.. and Tumblr, YouTube.. but video chat I understand the need for..

Atari

I'm generally an introvert, so I'm accustomed to having time to myself.

Even then, I have moments where I yearn for social interaction.

In the years before all this took place, I enjoyed getting together with my friends, every chance I got.

Nowadays, I'm just waiting for this whole thing to blow over, so I can live my life the way I did before.

I know, it's been said many times over, that good things come to those who wait, and if that's the case, then I feel like I'm in for a long wait.

For all I know, this thing could blow over next year, or maybe in the next decade.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00