Socializing In-Person

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Winslow, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

For me, I find the most effective way to erase depression is by getting away from the computer in order to socialize with people IN-PERSON. That's why I got RID of the computer at home and limit my computer use to the public library.

For socializing, the most fruitful way for me is to go to the Mental Illness Clubhouse in town. Today going in-person to the Clubhouse was very fruitful because I met an old friend with whom I played Scrabble. Compared to me who got a home again, that friend is still homeless, most likely because his drug-addiction makes it harder for him to qualify for housing.

Anyway, just that socialization made the whole day worthwhile for me. Do any of you feel the same as I do, that it's better to get away from computer-chat in order to socialize In-Person?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I can get socialization IRL I will go for it.

But I can't. :(

3. Winslow

You said you don't get IRL. But in a separate thread, aoeu, you said you go to a gymnastics class. So that means that you DO get IRL-socialization.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

For me, that has very little social impact.

Well, I did get to see Sarah on Tuesday for the first time in 8 months.. That was really nice, but I don't know if it's going to happen again any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

...Okay, there might be some noteworthy in-person socializing upcoming, but I'm not sure how much I'm at liberty to talk about here. :D

6. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Socializing in person usually just makes me feel worse about myself. :sad:
    I really struggle to keep a conversation going with shyness, anxiety and all.

7. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way:sad: Your not alone:smile:

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Socializing with the outside world can be tough when your self esteem hasn't gained its feet yet. The recovery re-socialization process can be delayed by somebody's criticizing or perceived to be criticizing comment.

9. Winslow

I have LOW self-esteem too, but I label it with a Different word. That is,I instead call it humbleness. That is, if your humbleness is good, then you can better tolerate Mistreatment from other people.

What many doctors have found is that TOO MUCH self-esteem can be hurtful. Because that can make a person ARROGANT, that is, make him into a bully.

Also, TOO MUCH self-esteem can make a person get too easily provoked by what he interprets as insults. Many times I read in the news where a provocation causes a stabbing, where someone gets his throat slashed or worse, and winds up in the hospital or even the grave. And the person who did the stabbing of course winds up in prison. So, as you can see, TOO MUCH self-esteem can be bad.

10. Robin

Robin Guest

Hey Winslow, I think you've got some great ideas :) And it's also great to see you online and back positng on the forum :) If you ever need a friend, just drop me a line :)