Societies Failure

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Fading Mentality, Apr 20, 2010.

Do you feel you are at this point in your life due to societies failures? Mult. ans.

1. Yes, how can others that see this just do nothing?

11 vote(s)
  2. Yes, and the ones in control just don't care!

8 vote(s)
  3. Yes, but I also suffer from documented mental illness.

8 vote(s)
  4. No, I suffer from mental illness only.

3 vote(s)
  5. No, others have no power over me.

9 vote(s)
  6. No, I place myself at my current state of mind.

9 vote(s)
  7. Unsure, I have never really thought about this.

5 vote(s)
  8. Unsure, I'm not experienced enough to make this decision.

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fading Mentality

Fading Mentality Active Member

I would like to see other peoples opinion on this subject as I truly feel that the reason most of us are broken is due to the miss placed values our current society instills upon us. Instead of looking out for each other and growing together we ignore or step on everyone around us so we can earn our chicken scratch as we feed with a foot placed upon our heads, and a blind fold upon our eyes. For those that do not know this, here's an interesting fact: Two percent of the worlds population own more than half the worlds assets (money). While over one billion people are either starving or are malnutritioned. But be happy they say, life is good...
  2. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

why do you people have to turn everything into an attack on capitalism?
  3. Fading Mentality

Probably because one of the largest sources of discontent in the world derives from Capitalism. Also this thread is for peoples opinion on the matter not failed attempts to retort with spite that is not backed with logical substance.
  4. lonercarrot

Logical substance? like your post? Explain to me how "societies failures" and capitalism leads to suicide. Who has stepped on you and broken you?
    What did you expect to hear, do you just want people to agree with you?

Capitalism is the best and freest economic system we have. Communism was a horrible failure.

I understand where you are coming from, though. It's normal for people who have terrible complexes like "why am I poor", "why am I depressed", "why am I lonely" to think this way. These pent up grudges become endless feelings of hatred towards society and they blame society for their shitty lives. People who think this way are wrong. They are poor because they lack the skill with which to make money. They are lonely because they have no charisma. And they are depressed because of their own personal shortcomings. But the process of seeing this truth and acknowledging ones own incompetence requires quite a bit of courage, more than most people have. So instead people project their own cowardice onto the outside world. They create a fictitious enemy so they don't have to own up to their own lives and admit how pathetic they really are. In your case, you are blaming capitalism.

People aren’t suicidal because of capitalism or society. That’s just a convenient excuse to avoid taking any blame onto yourself.
  5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I agree with Lonercarrot... about everything. Couldn't have said it better.
  6. lonercarrot

Lol, thanks. I don't get that a lot
  7. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

It's either family or friends or yourself. The world has plenty of oppertunities. Just gotta grasp them.
  8. Fading Mentality

I will go in depth in order:

1. Societies failures and capitalism lead to suicides due to the lack of care for the people around each other. Society does not teach you to be independent strong and part of those around you, it teaches that this is a cut throat society and you must step on those around you to obtain success. Capitalism and I will go further and say the monetary system is responsible for a vast majority of corruption in the world. I couldn't cover all the aspects of this in type unless I wanted to write a book or series of them at that. If you can't put these together and see how people can be pushed to the edge by them than you have successfully been brain washes and are the perfect sheep. I recommend not watching TV, instead read some books, do research, watch documentaries in an attempt to open your mind.

2. I, like most others, have been stepped on by masses of people. Now if it was intentional or not does not matter. For the every day inconsiderate or malicious action that occurs, can normally just be shrugged off or letting the person know where they can stick it and feel better. Now when you take into consideration that most don't care about the individual next to them unless they happen to have relations, and sometimes that doesn't even matter, and multiply that by the number of times you come into contact with one that harms you (in any sense) day after day not allowing you to enjoy life for some and in my case succeed to the potential I know is within myself, everyone reaches a breaking point. Now I know this is vague as it is different for each person.

3. No where did I mention Communism or any other form of control being superior to another. If I were to recommend another form of society I would revert back to something more like what Native Americans, and other similar cultures, When everyone can have anything as long as they supply something there is no need for cheap or expensive product as everyone would be creating the best of what they do. Wow we just eliminated poverty and jealousy over meaningless objects, can you feel the crime rate dropping and morals rising already?

4. I am not poor, and I have been successful as an Avionics Technician for medical helicopters until we hit the recession and lost everything, as well as attempting to go for my Electrical Engineering degree until "society & some of those I trusted" slammed me into the ground again. I am not lonely as I have what friends I enjoy and come here as not to ruin relationships that I value by putting heavy pressures on others that I know would be hurt in the same. I am not here to cry I come to find or repair what has been broken, though it's a shame that people such as yourself find it here as well in order to, from what I can gather, make yourself feel better by degrading others thoughts, opinions, or problems.

5. With the blame issue, considering you cannot claim to know anyone in the true sense, how can you even presume to understand anyone other than yourself? I served my country with pride until I realized how worthless and replaceable the government deems its troops. I have designed a better electrical system to work with medical evacuation Black Hawks yet I have no skills you say. No where did I say I hate society, if you would have engaged in actual conversation instead of a rage fest you could have found that I feel society has miss placed values leading to its failure and to ours as a Nature vs. Nurture identity. I know my shortcomings and am wise enough to seek help with my acquired age which is why I am here, but I am also intelligent enough to realize where outside sources of both good and bad stem from. I also never said anything of depression, I am numb in most cases and extremely pissed in others with the inability to fix the situations around myself leading to a state of lunacy and thoughts that Id rather not substantiate. To stereo type everyone into a category only shows your own ignorance and lack of compassion. There is nothing fictitious about people (which makes up "society"), and when we get down to the root of our greatest enemy at our current time we find people, a very real and very dangerous being.

6. Where to place blame... Here is an interesting topic as if it were ones fault for being suicidal would that not go against everything that nature instills upon creatures (self preservation). Granted some forms of mental illness can erase this innate ability but why would one willingly kill themselves if nothing outside themselves was pressing them to? If everyone were at least moderately happy there would be no suicides. To even press blame upon a person with these feelings is a well demonstrated example of the miss placed values society instills upon people. Thank you for proving my point.
  9. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Ever heard of manners?
  10. DarkFantasy

DarkFantasy Well-Known Member

"If everyone were at least moderately happy there would be no suicides. To even press blame upon a person with these feelings is a well demonstrated example of the miss placed values society instills upon people. Thank you for proving my point."

Thank you
  11. lonercarrot

Nothing in capitalism says you cannot care for others. That's a choice individuals make on their own. At least when people can enjoy the wealth capitalism affords them they have the resources to care for others and can donate their time and money to help the less fortunate. Every system in the world is corrupt because people are corrupt. You'd see the same thing anywhere in any time with any economic or political system.
    I guess your only argument here is; "do your own research, I'm right but I can't explain it." Interesting.

You asked for peoples opinions and I gave you mine and then you attack me for it. Don't get sand in your vagina because someone disagrees with you. You made a post blaming society and capitalism for mental illness and shitty lives and I responded to that absurd idea.

I don't know you, and I didn't address those specific examples to you. You sure are troubled by some things and I'm still willing to bet a lot of your rage towards society and capitalism stems from that.

Tell yourself what you have to, but I didn't prove anything you said...
    When we are talking about depression, self-hate, low-confidence, suicide and those types of mental illness, those feelings come from within a person. They have to do with the self and how a person interprets the world. To fix those problems a person has to focus on himself and his own life. The first step in doing that is to assume responsibility for your own life. People can be hurt by others, people will always experience pain in life, it's just a matter of learning how to deal with it. It's not about pressing blame on anyone, it's about assuming responsibility and understanding that YOU have to change. Stop focusing on destroying an imaginary enemy and focus on improving and healing yourself. (And so there is no confusion again, I'm not referring specifically to you, this goes for everyone)
    What does society instil in people? Since I was a kid I've always been told by teachers, parents, Sesame Street, T.V,movies, etc to be kind, not to lie, not to steal, not to bully kids, to share, not to be greedy and to help others.
  12. lonercarrot

Explain to me how that was at all rude
  13. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I found this quite offensive to people with suicidal thoughts and depression..
  14. lonercarrot

why is that?
  15. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

you say..
    poor = no skills
    no charisma = lonely
    depressed = peronal shortcomings.
    no courage to see our own shortcomings
    we create a fictitious enemy so we don't have to own up to our own lives and admit how pathetic we really are.
    that is offensive to anyone with a mental illness...
  16. Fading Mentality

I find this amusing. First off I will end the raging here as that is not the point of this thread. Not actually knowing you I cannot say if you are here to prove your self in some value but the context in which your retorts are represented go against much of what you argue. A lot of what I read within your responses leads to one who twists what they want to see or believe into their own reality. If you truly do feel and support your arguments then I am saddened by the damage that has been done to you! You feel I have attacked you when the first spot of negativity on this thread stems from your own thoughts. Though I am no psychologist I have had enough psychology and philosophy classes to understand (from what I have gathered so far) your personality type and I hope both of us can grow from here. If you place yourself against the wall then you are only fighting with your own actions.
  17. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I remember a quote I saw on some forum a while back, it was something like "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong, has just thought of someone to blame it on" for some reason that actually makes me smile....:laugh:. If someone pokes you poke 'em back. No point holding up rage against someone because eventually you don't know the difference between peace and the continuous feeling of hate....then you just start creating rage for yourself and you never get happy. Well atleast that's what I see of myself most of the time. But also get to 'feel' that I MAY just get better, who knows?

People don't necessarily create their own problems, that also doesn't mean something foreign does it either. All I gotta say is that pretty much all of my "problems" well more of a 'problem' is created by who's around me(society pretty much) and a few physical perceptions that I hope to change sometime in the near future :biggrin:.

I'm pretty sure I voted 'not sure, haven't really though much of it'
  18. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say. The truth is prob as always somewhere in between.

As for me i can say my life was pretty much under the influence of society problems that i could have not avoid.
    First, I've had to leave my birth place and country(Croatia) i lived due to war. When i moved to a new place it was a very hard time for me. New people,new school. My parents were unemployed so the financial situation was not really good too. All those things affected my social life pretty much.
    Also, my father was an alcoholic for whole my life. He never cared about me and brother much.
    I finished the school,primary,high school, i have a degree but the economic situation is really fucked up here(Serbia) and even with a degree i am having a hard time to find a job. Being unemployed is the major factor of my depression right now. I can't say i am not trying really hard to change my life.
    Well yeah, certainly i could have done better in my life. Maybe i was a weak sometimes,yeah sure i was. Did i deserve life like this? Anyways, i still believe things can change. Its a life, some people have more luck some less but you have learn to fight for your future no matter how hard it is...If you do not help yourself NO ONE WILL! I know how cruel Capitalism is. I had a million interviews for job and they look everything when hiring people, everything! Where are you from, how good communicator you are, what grades you have, what experience you have, also there are different test(intelligence and others) you have to pass etc etc. When i am looking for a job there is always other 50 or 100 people who are aplying for the same job. Employers are choosing the best one, no emotions. So if you are less intelligent (which i am not, i was always among the best) or shy or something you have no chance...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  19. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm not raging or even angry..just having my say....
    I hope you will keep talking lonercarrot....I'm done.
  20. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Well, IV2010 said it very well:

Maybe this is just the way you talk but, imo, it wouldn't hurt to try to be a bit more tactful, lonercarrot. That is, if you don't like to upset people. Just some advice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.