sociology and suicidal forums *may trigger

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by fixintodie, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fixintodie

fixintodie Active Member

i wonder if there is a way to find out. i am also curious if the person who is about to kill them self visits the forum leading up to the days of his demise, or if they just isolate them self from everything including their favorite message board, before deciding one day to depart this world.

i know its gay , but sometimes i click peoples user names to see when they last visited here, and some people haven't been here for months to years, and given their last few posts they didn't seem too happy....i often wonder if things improved in their lives or if things just went completely down hill.

so to make this more organized i have the following questions which i doubt any serious sociological research has been taken into:
    1 how many people who commit suicide are regulars of a message forum
    2 how many of those are guests versus registered users
    3 in what section do they post most (frustration-me hahah, general, coping with s.a, etc)
    4 how many posts do they have if any
    5 are there other message forums they constantly post on
    6 in the months leading up to suicide do the users posts increase or decrease
    7 how often does one post a suicide note on a forum
    8 in the months leading up to the suicide will the user stop communicating online and visiting forums just as he/she has stopped doing so with the outside world
    9 how long after their last post do they live
    10 how many visitors on these forums have learned that suicide is the way to go from the message board
    10 Does seeing repeated posts of other people suffering increase or decrease suicidal thoughts?
    11 Do the sections where obvious small talk and off topic material take place allow a temporary social life for those who lack it?
    11. what percentage of people have active social lives, work, go to school, and are married visit these forums
    12 Do the police or parents have the right to snatch the computer of a deceased person whom is no longer with the world, in order to learn more as to what websites were being visited, and use it for any other further investigation? Ive heard reports on the news how some person learned of a suicidal technique through the Internet. I've even heard ones where another forum member was encouraged a poor young girl to do the task. what a loser.
    13 and obviously the most important, HOW important are forums like these in helping people get through the most difficult of times, and helping resolve crises, if that is the case? If not, are these forums holding people back from improvement which can be accessed somewhere else?

I wish only the best, hang in there people
    all comments welcome
  2. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Interesting questions. Lol sounds like it'd open a whole new branch of research, probably one that needs to be opened if it hasn't been already. I'm going to check out some psych research databases tonight and see if I can find anything remotely related. I'll let you know what I find.

Found two studies:
    1) I hear, I listen, and I care: A qualitative investigation into the function of a self-harm message board, by Rodham,-Karen; Gavin,-Jeff; Miles,-Meriel, published in the journal Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, vol. 37(4) pages 422-430, Aug 2007

Abstract: This paper reports on the findings of a qualitative inquiry into the interactions on a nonprofessional self-harm message board. Individuals using the message board were very positive about the message board and appeared to feel that their needs for support, venting, and validation were being met. However, we found that negative harmful behaviors mentioned in messages posted on the board were either not acknowledged, or were legitimized and normalized by those who responded to the messages. We suggest that this process of minimizing the seriousness and/or normalizing the behaviors may actually be encouraging the maintenance of such behaviors and therefore conclude that caution should be exercised when using nonprofessional self-harm message boards.

2) Self-help Internet message boards for suicidal people by Eichenberg,-Christiane; Otte,-Thomas-A; Fischer,-Gottfried, published in Zeitschrift fur Klinische Psychologie und Psychotherapie: Forschung und Praxis (article was originally in German) vol. 35(1), 2006, pages 30-36.

Abstract: Theoretical background: In clinical circles, the evaluation of risks and/or benefits of internet message boards, in which users discuss their suicidal thoughts, has been found to be very inhomogeneous. The majority opinion is that such message boards are extremely harmful, and in the extreme some people are demanding government measures to close such boards. Method: To face speculative assumptions about the functions of "suicide boards" with empirical evidence, a study of a German message board for suicidal persons was conducted via online questionnaire (N = 164; of those 50% male and 50% female; 88% <= 30 years old). Results: Three user types were identified ("constructively seeking help," "ambivalently seeking help," "unspeciflcally motivated"), which differ with a high effect strength to a great extent regarding their motivation for visiting such a message board, as well as in clinically relevant effects of their usage of the message board. Conclusions: Overall, the results obtained contradict the assumption that suicide related message boards in general are potentialy harmful.

My conclusion - this needs to be studied more, as the results are somewhat inconclusive. The first article finds that SH forums can make SH seem more acceptable, but does not scientifically determine whether this is actually harmful. It hypothesizes that it is harmful, though. The second study (which was conducted in Germany, results may differ depending on culture) determined that message boards were not harmful, but that results differ depending on users' motivation.

lol sorry, I went way in depth on this, you appealed to my inner psych minor :)
    Hope this provides some answers, or at least some food for thought.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  3. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

why is this "gay"?
  4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Probably means ''I know it's not good / crap, but... ''
  5. Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixintodie
    i know its gay , but sometimes i click peoples user names to see when they last visited here, and some people haven't been here for months to years, and given their last few posts they didn't seem too happy....i often wonder if things improved in their lives or if things just went completely down hill.

why is this "gay"?
    Probably means ''I know it's not good / crap, but... ''
    No excuse...

Exceedingly poor choice of terms. Suggest the writer expand his/her vocabulary so as not to be derogatory and offensive - and expand their horizons as well.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  6. fixintodie

fixintodie Active Member

"why is this "gay"?" - Azul

Well Abacus21 picked up my social cue, and he is right. Just my way of expressing myself at the moment, and I wouldn't go back and change it. Not language I would use in a research paper or public speaking forum

"No excuse...

Exceedingly poor choice of terms. Suggest the writer expand his/her vocabulary so as not to be derogatory and offensive - and expand their horizons as well."-FoundAndLost1

Expand my horizons? Are you kidding me, how lame a comment that was, as if you know me in and out based on some quick written pieces I've written in a message forum.You are picking a petty argument just for the sake of it. You are trying to turn my personal curiosity (and for anyone else interested) in the relationship between message forums and suicide into an issue of homosexuality and poor diction.

This is a serious discussion that I am glad "wonderer" has taken the time to put research into as well as add valuable insight. I'm not gonna resort to some utopian english model in my posts just because it's someone else's norm.

And...and some of this stuff is just silly, we all know that, like on the airlines, they say want to pre- board. Well, what the hell is pre-board, what does that mean? To get on before you get on? They say they're going to pre-board those passengers in need of special assistance. Cripples! Simple honest direct language. There is no shame attached to the word cripple that I can find in any dictionary. No shame attached to it, in fact it's a word used in bible translations. Jesus healed the cripples. Doesn't take seven words to describe that condition. But we don't have any cripples in this country anymore. We have The physically challenged. Is that a grotesque enough evasion for you? How about differently abled. I've heard them called that. Differently abled! You can't even call these people handicapped anymore. They'll say, "Were not handicapped. Were handicapable!" These poor people have been bullshitted by the system into believing that if you change the name of the condition, somehow you'll change the condition. Well, hey cousin, ppsssspptttttt. Doesn't happen. Doesn't happen. -George Carlin
  7. fixintodie

fixintodie Active Member

This sucks my second message got jacked up.

Anyways it was basically had me thinking about something. I originally said 'all comments' welcomed, and that includes mine. I got some comments that got me thinking about some other issue that relates to my original topic even though I doubt the poster intended too.

I do understand that many people on these forums are ghosts, whom just browse and read/view other people's posts. Is there a chance that some people are afraid of being criticized or ridiculed by posting because they believe they will be called out for their "lack of vocabulary"

Not being able to express oneself to others is a terrible quality to have. And in the real world many suicidal people feel this sense of alienation. Are there some overly conscious people who will go to the extreme of intially typing a post about an issue they have or want to address or want to vent out, only after halting the mouse pointer over the submit button, because they are worried that they may have "said something the wrong way"?

I am being very serious here. I understand that the brain's written and spoken forms of communication differ. I find myself self conscious in both (most of the time only when depressed) and do admit that I believe i can express myself better through typing than orally. This is frustrating to me, because I have had friends and family whom I've been unable to relate with. They seem to be able to have the natural ability to communicate. Often times in my most suicidal states I don't want to speak with anyone and naturally can't without coming across as strange and troubled. I may resent to posting , but at times when its so bad i'll avoid that.
  8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Have deleted the second post for you, as it was the same as the one above it.
  9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Thank you fixintodie!!! The world has become so politically correct that it has become insane! The average person can't have a thought without analizing every word before one can speak. What ever happened to freedom of speech? Thank you for being honest, "speaking" so others can understand and for having the "yichees" for your original post (oops, doing it myself,yichess<balls>isn't politically correct may be sexist to some). If you can't speak freely in a forum where supposedly none are judged(?) then what is left? Funny how one little word can upset so many in a society where programs like the Sopranos is #1. Go figure!
  10. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with being politically correct (which seems to be some kind of magic word nowadays: "politically correct", which would in the past maybe be called courtesy or thoughtfulness, is the enemy and the hero seems to be the one who is not "politically correct". Down here in Europe we have all kinds of nasty politicians who love to use this magic word to gain sympathy.)

i was just wondering why fixintodie described his action as "gay". i didn't see the connection between homosexuality and interest in people's lives. But I understand in American youth slang it has a specific meaning that is not primarily linked to homosexuality?
  11. I'm moving my Reply to a new thread in Soap Box as it seems more appropriate...
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  12. fixintodie

fixintodie Active Member

maybe too many questions all at once. Let's simplify it. Does anyone know anyone who has conquered all their suicidal thinking on these forums >?
  13. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

There was a time when I was regularly on this website, now not so much. I think constantly being around people who feel down is not good for a person who feels down, wether in real life or on a discussion forum or anything.
    I don't think mental wards are an ideal solution for the depressed or the psychotic or whatever, for that reason.
  14. fixintodie

fixintodie Active Member

^amazing. but at the same time look at the psychotic people out on streets. as the day passes and boy friends girlfriends, ceos, groups of friends all passing by the 'crazy man' barely acknowledging his existence. how is that to his self esteem? a more realistic world, would be one where rather than tossing a quarter into his pan would be to start talking to him and help him out of the rut.

as for the hospital....yeah it sucks. maybe its different from ward to ward? but with the amount of $ required and mere idea that one is to be admitted to such a places causes feelings of shame just as bad as being ignored as a nobody in society. the world really is afucked up place.
  15. fixintodie

fixintodie Active Member

when i'm either really happy or really depressed in life, i'll never use a forum
  16. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

I think in smaller communities, like a village or something, the "crazy man" would not be ignored as much, and people would not resort so quickly to isolating him from society, with fellow crazies.
    Maybe our mistake is that we form groups (cities, with its suburbs, countries,...) that are just too big to guarantee the individuals of that group are treated humanely.
  17. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I personally doubt that can happen, if it did than most likely the person was not that bad off in the first place, but I can see it as a part of a persons healing... Often over the past couple years that I have used SF I have had to take long breaks, the major reason being that I personally find it rather difficult to read the ongoing despair that hits this forum daily.
    So this time around I am going to keep my browsing limited to the soapbox and other parts of the forum that I dont find triggering to me, until I have better coping mechanisms in place.

But pointing towards your original post I too have wondered that many times and have also clicked on peoples names and checked out there last posts and wondered where they are in life if at all they were alive now, hoping that their absence was a an indication that they were doing good in life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.