Sociopaths: made or born?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Silvio, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

1 in 25 people are sociopaths, but what does sociopath mean to you?

Chances are you've met one.
    So I had an interest with things like sociopathy (now called anti-social personality disorder) and it is widely misconstrued..... a sociopath can be anyone from your next door neighbour, friend, family member, teacher, boss..... they don't have to be notorious serial killers.

Personally, I use to use the term loosely and thought I was a sociopath due to lack of interests, fake emotions, difficulties with conscience, Isolation, bizarre thoughts, erratic behaviour, impulsiveness.....
    but other illnesses such as depression, also can exhibit such traits and people who do have this disorder do not even know they have it or never admit to it.
    I think the whole "sociopaths do not admit they're sociopaths" is garbage, for example: How about the anomalous teenager who kills animals for the joy of it and admits he's a sociopath?
    I don't have enough knowledge about the subject to make an informed opinion, but from what I've seen and known.....they are constantly called the "monsters" of society...... the irony of this? It's commonly stated a sociopath doesn't have any feelings towards others and they never admit they're a sociopath....I looked at the comments of a youtube video, in regards to sociopathy and there were a lot of "ALL SOCIOPATHS DESERVE TO DIE!" " THEY ARE EVIL!" etc. which when you think about it, the people who hate them could be sociopaths themselves, they marginalize them, wishing to cause them harm and actually enjoy it, justifying reasons with "they don't feel anything, anyway." , which obviously proves a complete disregard of the possible circumstances or genetics an individual might have and them, admitting to be sociopaths, is the last thing on their minds.
    Just because it isn't as common to have ASPD as depression, doesn't mean they are necessarily "monsters"......if ASPD were more common than depression, imagine people calling depressed people "monsters".

My opinion at the moment is very vulnerable and can probably change, if I acquire more knowledge about this, I would appreciate any enlightenment or knowledge I can get and it would be very intriguing to see what others view of this.

What is your definition of a sociopath? Do you think they are made or born?

Information on the subject here:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_any_physical_symptoms_for_a_sociopath

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think they are born that way a chemical inbalance you can see it in them from a very young age not wanting to socialize cruelty to animals all signs definetly born that way.

3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I agree, and I believe that how they are brought up and the triggers that they are subjected through childhood/adolescence determine what 'type' of sociopath thet become. I think it is very unhelpful how the behaviours of sociopaths are assumed to be the norm for all, when quite clearly this is not the case.

4. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

That's exactly what I think as well. It's a combination of genetics and their environment while growing up.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I think people are born with physical and bio-chemical differences in their brain. Then there are additional factors of life circumstances and experiences that impact the individual's brain as well.

Amazing how strong we are but so delicate at the same time.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

In nature vs. nurture, I tend to think that it depends more on the way a kid is raised, what they go through, their environment etc.

7. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Combo of genetics and environment. Genes don't automatically make you turn out a certain way, they only make you more predisposed to certain behaviours and physical characteristics.

8. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that sociopaths are born. What happens to them later in their lives can have some impact on the direction their lives take, but I believe that all the facets that make up a sociopath are present from birth.

Yes, I think that babies can be sociopaths. When a baby screams in a painfully loud and excruciatingly shrill manner, for instance, I believe that, at some level of its cognition, it realizes that it is being a "little monster" and that its extreme screaming is bringing pain to others.

The idea that children are born "innocent" is, sadly, simply a nice little fairy tale that people tell themselves.

9. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

My (legal) father is a sociopath. I think there's some genetics in that. I mean with all I've been through, I should be a sociopath. I'm not, and caring for human life is even my strong point. So... When I think about that (monster) man, he had everything. We never know what goes beneath, or secrets. But that's my HO.

10. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I agree with the notion that it's a combination of genes and the person's environment. Like depression though, each case is different and may be more due to their genes or more due to their environment. I think what separates humans from animals though, is that we have the power to overcome the programming that lies in our genes. We have the power of choice. Well, most of the time anyway...

11. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

I think both if happend to be togather make the person like that

12. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

Yea, I do concur it is probably both genetics, other determinants or both.
    The shocking thing about this is that ASPD is an incurable illness.... things like therapy actually aid sociopaths in becoming better at manipulating and conning.
    The best solution thought of,so far, is by retaining them in an asylum. Can you imagine the isolation?

The most complex sociopaths would probably be serial killers (this thread isn't restricted to everyday people, it can be about the most famous as well)...... oh and maybe I got the terminology wrong, but sociopaths are people who like to plan before they act, without remorse and psychopaths on the other hand are disorganised and act impulsively, so these are the two types of serial killers from my understanding.
    Let's focus on sociopaths here though.... they can easily conform to the emotions and the situations around them, a serial killer like Ted Bundy has quite the intriguing psychology, he had worked for suicide helplines,had a P.hd in psychology and was seen as charming, handsome and intelligent by others and had confessed to killed over 30 people..... in a very methodical manner.
    Serial killers don't have to be on television too, there are actually quite a handful that don't get mentioned.

It's amazing what the human minds are capable of..... while things like murders and the victims who suffer is atrocious, what is truly sickening is how things like hype and exaggerated attention and details are incorporated, eliminate all that and in the end what you have isn't an evil person or a mastermind, but just somebody suffering from mental conflicts and confusion, victims themselves.

Ted Bundy documentary (Detective perspective): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybere1PfO54

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I think it's a little from each. While it might not have to be both, having both negative social factors in addition to genetic ones would certainly increase the chances.

14. pit

pit Well-Known Member

You'll find a lot of sociopaths in the upper echelons of corporations such as Goldman Sachs, The Prudential, any banks, the military (duh) the White House (obviously) and insurance companies like Aetna. That's what it takes to succeed in Amoronica , to master the art of fucking over other people.

15. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

Yea, sociopaths are everywhere, this is quite shocking that it could be anyone. The best friend you have trusted all your life, could have easily been pretending with false emotions and personality, to manipulate you till you're at your most vulnerable.

16. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Personally I can't imagine me going to that extent for anything. I'm surprised I bother doing school work :unsure:.

17. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

Possibly anybody could use manipulation, but integrate that with the symptoms of ASPD and the person may find it to be compulsive and habitual behaviour, once they initiate something. In other words pretending and using, may just be an enjoyable game to some and they will go to great lengths to "win", not all, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.