Sol system might be getting a new ninth planet!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Moat, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Not sure if this thread is supposed to go here or not, but it seems the best place for now (anyone on staff who feels that this is in the wrong place, please feel free to delete or relocate to the appropriate section).

No, I am not talking about Pluto being re-instated as a planet (sadly!) but it seems scientists have detected evidence that there is a planet almost as large as Neptune orbiting the Sun (Sol) deep in the Kuiper Belt that, very well could be an icy and rocky Super-Earth (that is a planet very similar to Earth in composition, but roughly three times as large) and takes between 10,000 - 20,000 years to make one revolution (that is an orbit) around the Sun. If it pans out to be true, Sol will now have nine fully classified planets once again (ten, if you never agreed that Pluto should be a dwarf planet) so it is potentially exciting news in space discoveries of the last 20 years.
    If it does turn out to exist, then I think we, of the SF Community should get to decide on naming it, and I propose calling it Siberia (completely disregarding the scientific rules that dictate naming new celestial objects lol) - because it is so far from the Sun and deep in the Kuiper belt that it would be a World completely frozen, much like Siberia is in Russia 3/4 of the year. hahaha

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/01/150119-new-ninth-planet-solar-system-space/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  2. sofie

sofie Banned Member

I saw this news yesterday and think it is awesome although I agree the first step is to re-elevate Pluto back to planet status :) the length of time for the orbit is NUTS!

3. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Yeah, agreed there on the Pluto status, it is ridiculous the rules for what 'makes a planet' and is sure to still be making a lot of people cry today as it did when it was first announced it was no longer a planet - I cannot imagine how the education system would react if a "new" ninth planet were discovered... so many failed school projects and tests lol

I still remember the exact day that Sedna was discovered and thought that was such a cool thing but that will have nothing on this newest discovery.

4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Yeah this is pretty cool theory and the math appears to check out. Here is youtube astronomy enthusiast Scott Manley's take on it:

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

There's a series I've been writing since I was a kid, and these kids always went to the 10th planet (it was behind Pluto) so I think it's cool there is another planet :)

Moat likes this.
  6. Moat

Moat Banned Member

That sounds uncannily like a novella series I was writing in the mid 90s, where the main characters were set around a planet just beyond Pluto and only 8 years later, 'Sedna' was discovered - and was pretty much as I described it in the novellas.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

That is awesome :) My 4th grade teacher read us the Chronicles of Narnia, then I felt inspired to write my own fantasy series.

8. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Same here! Except for the part about narnia. Even had three books in the series - Crusaders of the Angelic, Heroes of the Angelic and finally Legends of the Angelic. Wish I knew what happened to them...

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  9. Witty_Sarcasm

I still have the 10 stories from the original series and the 10 from the second part of the series. They are the oldest stories I have. I started writing before that, but I don't have everything I've written. I wish I would have kept them too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.