Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Sardaukar, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Well-Known Member

I am alone, but sometimes, not often, i enjoy my solitude, I go to the beach early in the morning, when the only sounds are the gulls and the waves, and I sit on the rocks, and I watch the sunrise. I will walk along the lonely, white stretch of sand, staring out to sea, gazing at the horizon. Sometimes i wonder what it would be like to have someone next to me when i do this, to hold them and enjoy the wonderful silence, sometimes I wonder if, on some distant shore, someone else is gazing at the horizon, thinking the same thing. But this will never be, I will never get to share this with anyone, I am destined to walk the beaches alone, forever trapped in the silence, trapped in my own head. does anyone else enjoy the odd moment of solitude? its not the same as loneliness at all.
  2. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

The year I went to South Carolina and went to the beach, I wrote a poem about that very thing. I wonder what I ever did with that poem.

Solitude and loneliness are definitely not one in the same. I find that too often, people confuse them. But where there is often pain in loneliness, there is peace in solitude. Sometimes, I enjoy being alone. Like when I'm taking a walk to clear my mind or watching the sunset. During those moments, I can actually appreciate the silence. When I'm lonely, however, the silence hurts. That's the difference between solitude and loneliness.
  3. Lucie

Lucie Well-Known Member

wow that is a really beautiful post