Somatization disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kiba, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I was at therapy today and talking about different issues I've been having lately and at the end I told my therapist I thought I might have a somatic disorder, because I seem to have allergies one week and the next do the same activity, and not have that same reaction.. Anyway, she told me I prob did and next week we would look it up in the DSM-IV or I could look it up online.. So I decided to look it up somatic disorders and I think I figured out what one I might have.. It's called Somatization disorder...

So I guess for everyone's information I looked it up here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatization_disorder

There's not a lot of information available on Somatization disorder.. It's apparently not very common.

There is a bit of criteria needed in order to be considered having Somatization disorder.

The cause of Somatization disorder is disputed, but there are 3 different categories of trying to explain what causes it.

So I guess that explains Somatization disorder a bit.. I haven't found too much info on it though.. I did realize I fit all the 5 criteria:

I have had pains for more then a few years and am currently only 20, so CHECK

Abdominal pains, Migraines, Chest, Back Pain, etc.. CHECK

diarrhea, nausea, food allergies(?) CHECK

Lack of cycle, etc. CHECK

Vision Changes / Depth Perception changes and light sensitivity CHECK

So I guess that's it.. Jw if anyone else has this disorder though or have any thoughts on this.. :( It makes me feel so alone with it, because there is so little info.. Thx for any replies!

2. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

hey hun :hug: you are not alone in that there are people who care about you and will be willing to talk through this with you and investigate it further with you if you need :hug: please hang in there - you have many friends here and they are all here for you to lean on whilst you need them - thats what friends are for! if you need me you know where i am :hug:

3. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

Wow id never actually heard of that till now ! i hope they make some progress for you so you can find out whats wrong and get the right treatment XXXXXX

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Just want you to know I'm thinking about you. I hope that you and your therapist can discuss this issue and come up with a plan that helps you. :hug:

5. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Thank you guys.. :hug: I've only found a little more info on this disorder.. And a small section of another forum about it...

http://www.psychforums.com/somatization/

I did a while back look up somatic disorders, but dismissed it.. And now I guess I'm looking at it again.. And reading all this information.. Makes sense now..

I have been dealing with a few different pains off and on in cycles.. occurring more often with high stress.. Making this disorder seem to be a very possible cause..

And right now, the pains seem to be at a pretty high level..

Would explain my "pain attacks" that included my entire body going to these "attacks" more often at night.. And night has always been more stressful for me..

I tend to over - think so much.. I've had migraines and headaches since I was 12, abdominal pains since I can remember... coming in cycles of different pains.. But those 2 seem to be the most major areas.. Though I have had my teeth hurt, my chest hurt, and my back as well at times for no reason..

Foods can make me feel sick / look as though I'm allergic to them, yet tests reveal no real allergy... And I may be allergic one day, and a week later eat the same food with no reaction at all..

Explains why I've gone in for different high level pains and somehow the pains "magically" disappears.. And the hospital thinks I'm a total liar...

Feel like such a fuck up... Sorry... It's making me feel so sick and I want to just cry.. :cry:

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi Swifty...just sending my caring in the hope you feel better...big hugs

7. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Thank you J.. :hug:

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I've also never heard of that disorder. :shy: But its good you can put a name on your problems! Always around if you need someone, hugs xx

9. Dubstepper

Dubstepper Staff Alumni

if there's anything i can do to make your stress lessen, let me know!

10. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Add leg pain.. Anyway.. thx all for replies :hug: waiting for Monday to speak to my therapist again... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.