Some claims about suicide: True or False?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by 1victor, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1victor

1victor Well-Known Member

I thought that some SF members might find it interesting.
    Since sites go down often I just c/p it here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

People who often talk about suicide will not attempt it.
    False! Most people who commit suicide do talk about it, more or less explicitly. But the people around them don't always get the message.

Talking or writing about suicide is risky - you should let sleeping dogs lie.
    False! Research shows that it can work preventatively since it can make the person aware that they need to seek help.

Suicidal thoughts are common amongst teenagers.
    True! It's relatively common for teenagers to think about suicide and existential issues. But if such thoughts lead to a suicide attempt, they must be taken extremely seriously as an expression of severe emotional problems.

Teenage boys are less likely to talk about suicide before committing the act.
    True! Boys often keep their feelings to themselves and also commit suicide more often. It's twice as common for young men to take their lives than young women.

Most young people do not convey their thoughts of suicide to adults.
    True! Young people often turn to their peers with their problems. It's also not uncommon for then to find it easier to talk to adults other than their own parents.

Suicide happens suddenly without warning.
    False! The suicide process in adults is often long and drawn out. But in young people it can more often occur suddenly, and so it's important to be extremely vigilant for signs of mental ill-health among them.

Suicide is often preceded by an "up" period.
    True! A depressed person is often unable to act. But once the depression wears off, their energy can return, bringing with it the greater risk of suicide.

Suicide is more likely in people who have previously attempted it.
    True! Research shows a strong and lasting correlation between previous suicide attempts and completed suicide.

Suicide is more common around birthdays and other festive occasions.
    True! A thesis published by Karolinska Institutet has shown that young people between the ages of 10 and 24 were more likely to commit acts of suicide over a two-week period close to their birthdays.

Suicide is often based on rational thoughts about the value of life.
    False! Most acts of suicide take place under the influence of a mental disorder or drug abuse. Many suicide attempts are also made impulsively, before the person has had time to think things through.

It's impossible to stop a person who's made their mind up to commit suicide.
    False! 85-90 per cent of those who have made serious suicide attempts do not complete it. Many suicide survivors ask themselves: "What was I thinking?"

Having a stomach pump is so nasty that it deters people from taking new overdoses.
    False! A person close to suicide who takes an overdose doesn't reason like that. The only thought they have is a desire to escape their anguish or pain, where an overdose is the only way out.

Sweden has one of the world's highest suicide rates.

False! Sweden's suicide statistics are comparable to the rest of Europe. On a 90-nation list of percentage suicide rates amongst people between the ages of 15 and 19, Sweden ranks no. 57.

Everyone who tries to take their own life must be sick.
    True! There's almost always some form of mental illness behind suicide, but it can also be triggered in young people by events that, to an adult, might seem trivial.

2. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I've looked into suicide alot and I somehow doubt this. EVERYONE? Alot of people who suffer from suicidal feelings actually think rationally and if they do commit suicide they have a reason for doing it, like financial problems, unloving family, dark future. It's more of a way to escape from the pain, I don't think a mental illness should always be behind it because most people I'd like to think actually think deep and hard about suicide and could well be in control of their mind. I think this is a mith.

3. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

The correct answer is Finland, isn't it? I heard that it was because of winters they have mean there is only a few hours daylight during the day, and because of the near-constant darkness suicide rates soar. I didn't get this until about a month ago; my sleeping patterns meant that I was going to bed as the sun was coming up and waking up as it had just gone down. So I was basically living in darkness every waking moment and actually found it really disorientating and depressing. :mellow:

I'd make a terrible vampire. :laugh:

Not sure if it's true or not, but that's what I heard. :smile:

4. 1victor

+1
    Yes, it's a dubious statement if ask me.
    Unfortunately, I have all of the three reasons you've mentioned.
    and I am old.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  5. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

They need to mention chemical imbalances, which some people think is the cause of depression and anxiety, and others think is caused by depression and anxiety. But either way, chemical imbalances, which is a physical trait, not just a psychological reason.

6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

We had 3 1/2 hours of daylight today...
    I'm not surprised anyway. Scandinavia IS depressing

7. 1victor

Electric companies should be in a good mood, I guess.
    :)

8. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

They truly are :tongue:

9. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

My suicidal ideations are chemical imbalance. I had the perfect job, was paid very well had the gf of a lifetime. I was well respected and liked. I thought I was happy. I paid my bills and gave the rest of my money away. I had no idea at that time thta is another sign of suicidal tendencies. One nihgt I attempted only to be found by a neighbor. I was hospitalized and conned my way to a early release. Two weeks later, exactly, I tried again, only to be found by the same neighbor.
    I now take many anti depressants. The ideations are still there but I don't act on them now. I am only working part time and living below poverty levels. The future doesn't look good at this point but whan I am ready, I know I am in control.

10. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Many, but not all. There are as many reasons for committing suicide as there are suicidal people; it's an intensely personal issue and decision. Just writing it all off as "mental illness" or being "impulsive" is very short-sighted.

Blatantly false. This is the result of an attempt to label the suicidal person as sick by definition. It's dishonest and degrading.

Other than that, there are some good points in there.

11. Kimi

Kimi Well-Known Member

I agree with your post. Talking about suicide is just because we think about suicide all the time. To me, I think about it all day..

I never thought about suicide even though I wasn't raised in happy family. I had a hope to build own happy family.

I easily talk about suicide. I feel numb about talking about it. It's like people talk about weather. As soon as I wake up until I fell asleep, I have to struggle with so many devastated, distressed, despair feelings.

I'm still alive cos I'm coward to throw myself from a building or a bridge. Other methods are not 100% guaranteed. I don't want to go to mental ward if I failed.
    I read a news paper that a man tried to commit suicide from the river but he failed. This person is now in prison to serve for 2yrs in there. He was suicidal and ended up convicted in a cell..

I read an article yesterday that an actress died from cardiac arrest. She'll be greatly missed. I should be dead instead of her. No body care if I live or die. A person who I unconditionally and truly love will be happy if I die. Because he has own happiness now and he want me to disappear from his life. He'll be happy if I die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.