some depression is untreatable

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by theleastofthese, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

because it's situational. Right now the worst part about my depression is that all the Zoloft and other meds in the world can't relieve it cause it doesn't pay the rent and the bills. I"m drowning in debt and depression and one makes the other worse. Emotional depression on top of economic depression is like throwing gasoline on a fire - it just gets worse. I also see no point, no relief, in "feeling better" when I'm in danger of utility shutoffs and eviction. Bah. There is no hope anywhere. No light at the end of this tunnel of debt and destitution.

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry you are that situation. I don't know why you are in debt or what the repercussions of that are for you, so I cannot offer anything more than moral support. But I do kind of understand your situation. I am unemployed and have been for some time now. The cost of meds will put in me debt when my unemployment assistance runs out. Then I'm really in trouble, without meds and with a bad situation both.

I'm actively looking for work, but have such low self-esteem at the moment...

I hope your situation improves soon. Hang in there and stay safe!

3. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

me too. I'm unemployed and my savings are running out. Perhaps we should ask our loved ones or friends for financial assistance.

4. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

some drug companies offer lower prices on meds for people w/o insurance. It'd be worth checking into, could save you quite a bit. Maybe your doc would know of said programs.

5. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

least i can so relate to you atm it's not even funny. i'm receiving ECT treatments and they're the only thing helping me keep going and sometimes it's still a struggle at even that. i have so much debt myself and still so many needs that must be met, and i just can't seem to do it all no matter how much i try. i'm totally overwhelmed myself.

i'm sorry to hear that you are going through this right now yourself. you deserve much better than this for sure. i hope you can find a way to turn things around for you. drop me a pm if you want to continue to vent. personally as sad as it is and as much as i wish no one else these type of struggles it is nice to know of someone else who can relate. it helps me not feel so alone.

please take care least. i'll be thinkin' about ya

6. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

I had an ECT done during my previous depression and it didnt work. what worked for me was that I gave up all expectations of myself and started all over again from the bottom.

7. ZERO2007

ZERO2007 Guest

if your spending money online like i was i had my debit card cancelled so i cant buy no more online and why not do volutary work to get ur mind off spending if ur not employed hope this helps as i was in ur situation

8. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty bad, if you are depressed and don't know how to make yourself happy you can try to rely on drugs.. but if you are having economic troubles then you might not even have money for the drugs later.. I don't know what to say.. I'd try my best to get a job and break the cycle. It won't get easier when you run out of money for drugs, so do it as soon as possible.

9. theleastofthese

I'm not buying drugs or anything else unnecessary with my little bit of money, only trying to pay bills. I'm not unemployed, just under-employed, not enough work to make ends meet. I see no end to this misery

10. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

Well by drugs I meant medication.. sorry..

11. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I don't have much to say but I do hear you and if this reply makes things just a little better for a while then I'll reply.. :hug: It does sound like a horrible situation to be in and medication can only do so much. I understand your financial situation but you also have mental health problems on top of that and it's hard to separate them out but perhaps concentrating on the emotional side of things would help make things easier for you. I think that you can say you are in an unhelpful environment is huge in that you can try and not blame yourself too much for things? I don't know if it's possible to seek help from voluntary organisations or if this is an option for you as I don't know where you live but they can offer emotional support and perhaps even practical advice. It does sound like you're struggling a lot and I've never been in your position for a prolonged period but I do hope things get easier for you. I also think you're incredibly strong for going through all this- it sounds like a nightmare. Take care.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  12. theleastofthese

there are few, if any, organizations to help me. Most have qualifications of having eviction and/or shut off notices from landlords and utility companies. I'm trying not to let it get that bad. So there will be no help unless and until I'm at the very end. I see no hope or help for my situation. Thank you all for your replies.

least likely to survive

13. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

:sad: :hug:

14. theleastofthese

I am thinking of applying for disability, since I'm unable to do even the simplest things. but that akes time and by the time I'm denied or approved, I could be worse off than I am now...:sad:

15. SoulRiser

SoulRiser Well-Known Member

It's like pain. It hurts when you put your hand on a hot plate... so does that mean you take painkillers and keep your hand on the hot plate, because it's your hand's own fault for feeling pain? No, you take your hand off the plate :p There's nothing wrong with using painkillers to help deal with the pain though, but it's of no help if you don't take steps to stop the source of the pain in the first place.

I'm not saying it's easy to stop the source, just that no amount of painkillers will stop your hand from burning.

16. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I was going to ask about this but I didn't know if you'd tried already and what disability was like where you are/if it was worth it. Maybe it's worth the risk to try? When you apply maybe the people there would give you advice as to what to do in the meantime- maybe there are emergency loans that would be helpful in the short term.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.