Some good titles...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by riz, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riz

riz Senior Member

Anyone else appreciate a good book?

Well, as a sufferer of SI for 12 years now, and proudly SI free since February 3, 2008!! I have found comfort in a couple books that I've sat down and read. Better than reality....and actually touch on some very sensitive topics that might strike a chord with individuals in this forum....

First, "Cut" by: Patricia McCormick. It's about a young girl named Callie. Like a lot of us, she has a secret problem with cutting. Soon a school nurse discovers her injuries and suggests she get help from a resident treatment facility. This book doesn't just deal with "getting better." It shows the real side....the painful side of what she does to herself and why it helps so much. It also gives you a feeling that you're not alone. I found it to be a powerful book that hit the nail right on the honest head of self-injury...and how it can all still end happily--but not without effort.

The second book I feel like ranting about is, "A Bright Red Scream" by: Marilee Strong. This is a non-fiction book on a study conducted by Marilee Strong and is composed of chilling first hand interviews by self-injurers that help shine some light on this otherwise unfamiliar condition. Even though some of the interviews began to make me feel emotional, I was able to connect to the stories told in this book, and since I no longer felt alone in my problem, I have been able to slowly recover from SI.

And the last thing I want to rant about is not a book, but an indie film that I found to be absolutely phenomenal. It's called, "Wristcutters: A Love Story." Starring Patrick Fugit (the cute boy from "Saved" :D ) I'm taking this summary right off the back of the box. lol

"Distraught after breaking up with his girlfriend, Zia decides to end it all. Unfortunately, he discovers that there is no real ending, only a run-down afterlife that is strikingly similar to his old one, only a bit worse. Discovering that his ex-girlfriend has also "offed" herself, he sets out on a road trip, with his Russian rocker friend, to find her. Their journey takes them through an absurd purgatory where they discover that being dead doesn't mean you have to stop livin'!"

Now this might sound a little ridiculous, but it also sounds like just what you need. A real, no bullshit story of someone deciding to end it all. What does it mean? Where do you go? Can I learn to appreciate what I have here and now? Everything is answered in this beautiful little film that is at the same time darkly hilarious and ends with a smile.

So yeah. I hope I succeeded in getting some people interested in some new books or flicks. And if you have anything you want to add, post it here. I'm always looking for new things.....

And yeah. Sorry about this long, unprovoked book/film review. Just thought it could apply....and I felt like flexing my Journalism muscles. :D

2. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Oo sounds good, I think I might check both of those books out!! Ty hun! :biggrin: :hug: and I love your sig, btw :D

3. riz

riz Senior Member

oooh thanks! I'm glad you appreciated it!!

4. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

yeh thanks for those - i like the sound of the 2nd book, i'll have to check it out :smile: The first book sounds like a good story but dunno if i'll connect with it being a number of yrs out of school :wink: - but thanks for the info, good journalism! :cool:

5. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to read "A bright red scream" for ages! I must scrape together some cash and get a copy of amazon. The others you mentioned also sounded good, so I will look it to them. One book you didn't say anything about, but that I have heard very good things about, and has been on my "to read list" for a while, is "crosess" I recomend you look it up :)

Right I have to go look you cheap places to get one of these books, danm this constant lack of money! Ebay, here I come!!

6. Broken_Heart

Broken_Heart Active Member

I've read, "Cut", but I havent read/seen the others. I want to read the 2nd one now though. I want to see "Wristcutters", but the only place I can rent it is too far to walk, so I'd need a ride, then if my parents saw what I rented they'd have questions.

7. riz

riz Senior Member

Well, the cheapest place that I found these books was the library!! lol But that's only if your library is cool like mine and actually stocks these kinds of books for it's patrons....

And a solution (yet an illegal one) is to look up "Wristcutters: A Love Story" on websites that host the movie for free.

Last time I checked, it worked here. QuickSilverScreen.com Just try it out on some of the different players. This is only if you can use your computer for long enough....then, no questions from pesky parents!! yayeee!!

Hope that helps. And I'd love to hear more suggestions for other books/movies if anyone has any....

8. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Some other good ones that i've recently bought are bloodletting by victoria leatham and prozac nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel, and more,now,again by elizabeth wurtzel. the follow up to prozac nation :)

9. Amber

Amber Active Member

Cut was a good book but I think it sortof triggered my masochistic tendencies. hmm

And I am downloading that movie.. Can't wait to watch it.

Thanks! :laugh:

10. rwillson

rwillson Well-Known Member

i haven't read "Cut" but i have read "Bright Red Scream", triggered the hell out of me at first but it is a very good book...

i loved the movie "Wrist Cutters" although it made me real sad at first, having lost the girl i was supposed to marry (to a simple mistake on both her impulsiveness and the ineptitude of her doctors.) SU seems to be a constant thought (even after two attempts, you can guess i really want to be with her, even now). i had to watch it in segments, not all at once, the girl he falls for in the SU after life looks so much like my fiance. but just the same it is a really charming and sweet movie, i am hoping real life turns out that way some how...

r...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.