Some Hope

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mikeintx, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

2. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

*rolls his eyes*

Everything is a mental illness anymore. It's how they sell themselves.

I'm not saying it's not a mental illness, it's just getting crazy is all. Everybody will be mentally ill at this rate.

IMHO, the pharma industry that sells everyone brain drugs always reminds me of that scene in star trek where the doctor exclaims, "My God, man. Drilling holes in his head isn't the answer." That's star trek IV. While I think all of these drugs and classifications work for the fraction of the population, they're used far too often for people who need things that society can't currently readily supply. The drugs and the hospitals and the pleas for help are just screams and cries of desperation. The people want relief but no easy answer.

The actor that played Bones is dead. He died June 11 1999. His ashes are in the pacific ocean...

I don't take life for granted. Right now I have a health issue and I may not be around to see the immediate future. Who knows what we'll be in 2300 or so. I doubt it'll be anything like star trek since star trek is too much like the 20th century.

People in 300 years will look back on us and see all of the BS science and medicine and wonder how people coped.

I'm not saying there's no good science or medicine, just that people in the future will see a lot of BS in 2010-11.

You can get mad at what I say, but in 100 or 200 years, everybody currently alive will be dead. All ~7 billion of us.

How much will what we say here matter then? Not much. Nobody will care.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i dont believe theyre making everything into a mental health illness, not to any large extent anyway (the large drugs corporations may want it that way.)
    I think what has happened is the opening of our eyes, we see it more, its more widely reported. plus the stigma isnt what it used to be so people can be more open about it. In addition to that i also believe it comes from that fact we no longer lock them into an asylum and give them a simple label "insane", now we work on finding the actual cause and it has shown there are more mental health illnesses than we expected.

Regardless....good post mikeintx, thanks for sharing
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Refreshing news Mike. As always,thanks for sharing.
  5. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I just can't but think that instead of giving people real help they take the shortcut and slip them a pill. That's what our culture is becoming. A heap of problems in our society express themselves as depression and other mental health problems. We want quick answers, ready-made and available. Fast-food, 30-minute breaks, convenience over completeness, profit and growth always, 60 second sound bites, violence and sensationalism on tv, etc. I'm probably exaggerating for effect, but it seems we're becoming less human.

I just generally feel our society/culture/country is in poor health. If it was true we will be replaced by AI and machines in 50 years 10 years ago it's even more true now. We have to face the future STRONG, not torn and compromised by 50 different pills taken daily.

Sorry but all this WREAKS of putting a bandage on a gushing wound and condemning people to bondage.

Just to illustrate the complexity of the human mind:

So I guess I'm saying we're screwing with nature. We're also discarding what makes us human in favor of machines/pills.

Bare in mind i've spent a lot of my life in front of a computer fiddling with code to make programs. I've been told on many occasions that computers aren't natural. I've embraced the concept of virtual worlds and many would think this as irresponsible given we already have a world and there's no need for a fake one. I'm screwing with nature in my own way. It's ironic that I am so disgusted when they mess with the human mind, but when they discuss messing with earths atmosphere or attempting to recover a ruined ecosystem I seem to fall for it like someone fallen madly in love. I do not know exactly where my shortcomings are, but I try.

Call me a doubting thomas.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  6. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Mike when I was a teen I really did have BDD. They diagnosed me as OCD but it was BDD. I would stand in front of mirrors for hours, then be in despair. I took up weight lifting for hours a day. Then I started wearing like 3 sweatshirts and a jacket in the summer because I thought the shape of my body was hideous and I wanted to look bigger. I could not look anyone in the eye. Eventually I developed a phobia of mirrors.

I was also paranoid of the air I was breathing and pollution.

Actually I had it ever since grade school but it didnt get really bad till I was a teen. And yes it did go away. But I got on xanax at age 17 ior 18 and that had a huge impact on stopping it I believe.

My heart goes out to anyone suffering with this. As I have been through it and know how terrible it is.
  7. Mikeintx

I am glad to hear you were able to get over it Bob. I am also glad to hear that it is something a lot of people with help can get over. I think that is one thing that sometimes lacking in these forums... so many people are suffering together and the ones that get better leave or are no longer vocal. A little bit of hope goes a long way...
  8. Mikeintx

I think that pills are over prescribed for mental issues... as my last therapist put it, a pill will really only help you get through the therapy and healing and can be used as a short term crutch... but you still have to put the work in. For some people though, they are absolutely neccesary. And for those that have been through every on and off label use of every pyschiatric medication out there, I am glad that drug companies have so many patents.

I really am against tv ads for prescription medications though. The main reason so many medications need prior authorizations now through insurance companies is due to people seeing an ad, asking their MD to write an RX for something they usually don't need, and then trying to get their insurance to pay hundreds or thousands for it. It has gotten pretty rediculous.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.