Something I've been wondering

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by LostInMyDaydreams, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostInMyDaydreams

LostInMyDaydreams Well-Known Member

I know I should ask my doctor about this but I'd like to put it up here first and see other people's thoughts and opinions on it. I'm diagnosed with bi-polar and lately I've been getting down a lot frequently and having so many thoughts of suicide lately that it's making me depressed. Read several articles about taking fish oil tablets and read how some people took them and it made their moods a lot better cause it was giving them a lot of nutrients. Is this something I should talk to my doctor first before taking? Has anyone else taken them before or tried it out to see if it would help you're mood swings? I don't eat fish frequently but I do enjoy it. Wish I could eat it everyday in fact but I'm just looking for suggestions cause my moods have been going up and down lately that it's driving me nuts. I'm so tired of feeling sleepy and feeling like I have no energy to want to do anything. Suggestions and opinions are welcome, thank you.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am not a Doctor, do not have bipolar, and am not in anyway qualified to give advice about this from a nutritional or medical viewpoint. While talking to the Doctor about any diet change or supplements when you are on medications or being treated for something is a good idea, I think the choice of fish oil is likely one of the safest options out there. It has a LOT of anecdotal information as well as a few studies supporting benefits from using it in many areas in addition to mood. So long as you are talking about real fish oil and not chemical processed combined supplement where fish oil is just one of the components, then it should be very safe and short of a rare food allergy not have bad effects likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.