Something positive, but I still look at it as being negative....why?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by HomerSimpson, Jan 23, 2012.

1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Been job hunting, and now a friend of mine is setting up a job interview for me where she works. Instead of being happy that I may finally have a chance at getting a job I am worried out of my mind with so much anxiety. I am playing the "what if" game. What if I do not like it, what if I do not like the hours, what if I do not get to see my friends anymore, what if I cannot do a good job, what if, what if, what if, on and on. I mean I should be happy and optimistic that I may have a chance, but instead I am not. Why? Is it the depression talking, is it low self esteem, why am I like this?
  2. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Dont know if its depression or low self esteem, but, about 1 month ago I was in the exact same position. A friend got me a job (well a temporary one till the end of February) and I played the same what if game.

Turns out I was right in that...

1. I dont like the job
    2. I'm not that great at it
    and 3. I'm still finding it a little difficult to make friends with my co-workers.

But at the end of the day I'm still there and will be till my contract runs out. If you get the job and its not for you, so what? You will just end up back where you are now, only you will have a bit more money in your pocket.
    I personally am looking forward to my tempory contract running out. By then I will have saved a bit of money and I can try for a differant job that I might actually enjoy doing.

Until you start the job and understand what it is that you will be doing, your only worrying about things that dont yet exsist.

Good luck with getting the job. :thumbup:
  3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

You could probably benefit from practicing mindfulness. It's a therapy skill that helps you focus on the present moment instead worrying about the past or the future. Please look it up online or mention it to your therapist (if you have one).
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I can understand how you're feeling...I have problems with anxiety too, and it makes me second guess everything I do and say. It can be an awful feeling, but you just have to try and ignore the thoughts of "what if" and focus on the here and now.
  5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I think the "what if game" is very natural when we're faced with a change in routine, circumstances, job. Lots of people think through their options at times like this.

You can take the what if game to either extreme - What if you hate the job? What if you love it? Right now, neither has happened, so it's a lot of energy going toward something you don't know yet. And if the "worst" happens and you hate it, a job is not a "permanent" life sentence - you can look for another job while working at one you dislike.