Something that I don't understand about SF

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by oval, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oval

oval Well-Known Member

Well we are all here bc we feel suicidal correct?
    We are here bc we want support from others bc we have had it rough and maybe seen somethings that we shouldn't have seen that led us to feeling the way we do and to sign up on a Suicide forum!
    Now if you see a thread that says TRIGGERiNG, why don't you just not open it and not read every signle word to make yourself feel bad?
    We are adults (well mostly I assume) we can't make someone else responsible for us feeling triggered if we were warned up front that it would trigger and stood there at the bottom of the stairs having the choice to take the chance to make the step and be triggered or simply not to.
    I think it is ridiculous to complain that someone's thread triggered us bc we let curiousity get the best of us. Get up, move away from the computer and dont let yourself be triggered and take away the support and the ability to express themselves from someone who's pouring their heart out.
    Something is not right with that don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  2. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

so your suggestion would be that we could allow anything, whatever the content, to be posted so long as it said triggering at the top? you assume wrong also, we are not mostly adults here - there are a HUGE number of people under 18 on the site. the member in question has not been stopped from posting and indeed has links to her story on her profile. im really not sure opening a debate about a particular member and her posts on the open forum is a way forward either for her healing (i would hate that if i were her) or for a productive outcome.

3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Erm do you know the entire situation with that member? How do you know she isnt lying about all of that? Not one of her threads in question had ever said triggering on it, so what, are people supposed to be mind readers?

Actually you are wrong, a wide variety of people on here are under the age of 18 so no we arent all adults on here. I wont go into what i personally think but you cant tell people to stand up and move away from their computer. You might as well say stand up, move away and if your feeling suicidal then you deserve no support because your a curious busybody. This isnt about expression, its about making sure people are as safe as they can be, or isnt that important anymore?

4. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

i don't get it either, what you want to happen i mean.

stuff that we can't post now you want to be allowed to post?

like wayne, i don't think i'll go in to my views on that, but i do see your point.

5. oval

oval Well-Known Member

You have a point there, I edited my post.
    Im not saying posting really anything should be allowed as long as it days it's triggering.
    But trying to cope with ones past shouldn't be a big no, even if it does trigger.
    In the end it the responsibility of the person temped to read the thread. if they will go ahead and ignore the warning is their choice.

6. Kaos General

People know that, and the member in question has only just started to say triggering in her sig etc. Not one member of staff would have told her she isnt allowed to post anymore. I personally thought they was writing a book and was looking at peoples reactions to see what they could change.

7. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

thing is hun... its not in the end the responsibility of the reader... its unfortunately ultimately the responsibility of the forum owner and quite likely the staff who run the site and are responsible for making sure that no harm comes to members as a result of the site. as i am sure you realise - we could get into trouble for allowing posts that we believe could lead to harm. the only safe and legal way, i believe, to run this site is to make sure we do everything in our powers and in our beliefs to make sure that no harm is done. things aren't edited or moved or anything else for fun - its to keep our members safe and then consequently ourselves and the site as a whole

8. oval

oval Well-Known Member

I have read all the thread and they all said triggering in big red letters in the beginnig. Yeah, it did not say it in the title.
    I don't understand what you meant by "You might as well say stand up, move away and if your feeling suicidal then you deserve no support because your a curious busybody"
    That doesnt really have anything to do with what I was saying.
    All I'm saying is that it's our own responsibility if we let ourselfs be triggered or not and to stay away from triggerimg threads for your own good.

Edit: again,sparkle, you have a point.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  9. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

umm its NOT our responsibility... did you read my last post?!

10. Kaos General

No, if the thread is triggering it needs it in the title. You said if people are triggered then they need to step away from the computer, so if theyre suicidal when they are triggered, going by what you said then that must mean they are not deserving of any support.

11. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Yes maybe it is our responsibility, but it's a bit like a car crash; you know you shouldn't be looking and yet morbid curiosity can hold you there and then it's too late.
    No one wants to be the censorship monster and I have always followed Voltaires famous quote "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it." But I also know human nature and lets be honest here, people have a tendency to do things that aren't good for them; the titles alone were enough to have me wanting to read them.
    I had the good sense not to, but then I'm older than grit, had I been my younger self, the need to read it would have been almost imperative.

12. oval

oval Well-Known Member

No no what I actually meant was that if they feel so temped to read something that says triggering, they should rather step away from the computer before they go on let themselves be triggered and then complain that they got triggered bc they couldn't not read something that was
    Most likely going to trigger as the warning said. Ok I didn't know it had to say triggerig in the title. Maybe it should have said it there. Imo saying triggering in the beginning in a very significant way should also let the reader know, ok this is going to trigger

13. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

did you read what i said?! :dry:

14. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Ok as much as I hate to do this, this thread is going round in circles so I'm closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.