Something to help with grounding.

Aves

I had a dissociative episode earlier because I was getting stressed and overwhelmed about something and, coincidentally, I was sat next to one of my toddlers “touchy feely” books. In order to try and ground myself I started touching the different textures in the book and it did help to get me back to a more “present” state. I thought I’d put it on here as it might help others who have problems with dissociating, it may seem a bit odd (especially if you don’t have kids or your kids are older ) but it really did work. I’ve added a pic for reference but I suppose it could be any book, as long as there are good textures to get a good feel of. I will add though, this will probably only possibly help with mild to moderate dissociation. D3343E12-508E-4825-A5B0-C7D0C848EDAF.jpeg

Aves

@Aves that is really useful and also reminded me I made a feely basket but put it away and never used it. Maybe time to have it at hand
Thank you
No problem :) it’s something that I know lots of people experience so if I can find ways that help a little for me, I will definitely share them. That sounds good, what sort of things do you have in it?

Aves

This is really interesting actually!
I’d never thought of it before but because the book was there and I was trying to ground myself, I just thought I’d try it. I’m trying not to engage in SH so I’m looking for anything that could be useful, turns out a toddler book did the trick for that particular incident lol.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Anything that helps you get through the day is good. Never heard of the book but it looks cute. For myself it is probably smells that work best. I believe it may take me back to when my grandmother would teach me how to cook. I still have the cast iron skillet she got when she was young. Most used cookware here.

Aves

Anything that helps you get through the day is good. Never heard of the book but it looks cute. For myself it is probably smells that work best. I believe it may take me back to when my grandmother would teach me how to cook. I still have the cast iron skillet she got when she was young. Most used cookware here.
Aw that’s lovely, it’s really good to have something like that that can help. I imagine those are nice memories, I remember making jam tarts with my Nana when I was little. They’re still my favourite sweet treat even now.

aw I've seen those books in the shop!
I do similar when I'm freaking out with anxiety and am restless and can't think straight or calm down - I've bought myself little kid toys to fiddle with and they help snap me out of it and ground me. Snap band, slime, squeezy balls, tangle, pop it, the most useful I've found was a little toy I found in the toddler section that's a small line of wooden blocks on a string and you can pull them around and twist them into shapes but it has resistance from the elastic they're attached to so being able to pull something around with resistance and twisting it into shapes in my palm helps!

Aves

aw I've seen those books in the shop!
I do similar when I'm freaking out with anxiety and am restless and can't think straight or calm down - I've bought myself little kid toys to fiddle with and they help snap me out of it and ground me. Snap band, slime, squeezy balls, tangle, pop it, the most useful I've found was a little toy I found in the toddler section that's a small line of wooden blocks on a string and you can pull them around and twist them into shapes but it has resistance from the elastic they're attached to so being able to pull something around with resistance and twisting it into shapes in my palm helps!
They’re really good, there’s a page with like a Velcro strip that I found was a great texture to touch and snap me out of it. Much better than a Mike Tyson punch to the head, that’s for sure! Thanks for sharing that with me, those are great ideas 👍

Last edited:

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
No problem :) it’s something that I know lots of people experience so if I can find ways that help a little for me, I will definitely share them. That sounds good, what sort of things do you have in it?
Maybe thats why I like hugging my teddy bears so much when stressed. Each one has a different feel.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00