Something weird is happening...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Witty_Sarcasm, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

As I've always been a really sensitive person, I tend to feel emotions strongly, both good and bad. But lately I feel...emotionally blank, i guess I would call it. Sort of a state of feeling much of nothing. I was going to cry the other day, but I held it in, and then I felt oddly calm afterwards. I was upset about something earlier, and it ate at me for like a minute, then the calm feeling again. Am I getting better at processing my emotions, or am I just burying them? How do you know if you are getting better or worse in terms of being able to handle what life throws at you?
  2. Citizen Insane

Citizen Insane Chat Pro SF Author SF Supporter

Hey Witty_Sarcasm,

There are many possible explanations for the calm feeling. If you were bottling up emotions for example, you would feel a different sensation than calmness. You would feel the need for an emotional release in a later stage due to frustration.

I guess I could ask you like on a scale of 1 - 10 how calm were you during those moments? Is there another way to describe these feelings?
    It's important to determine wether the feeling is genuine.

Emotional numbness in general is not a feeling people would prefer to experience in the long run. I'm curious to see when you're expecting to have a certain feeling in a specific situation, if your brain/body will respond to it in similar fashion.

Processing emotions is an indication that there are some ideas and thoughts behind it. It's sort of unusual to feel the need to cry and then you're not able to do so without some regulation of the emotion that made you feel sad in the first place.
    Though I can understand it being an indication for you that it might feel comfortable not having a complete emotional outburst that causes distress.

And I feel for you when you say that there is some doubt present wether you're getting better or going down the other path.

To end on a positive note: It's very possible that you recognize that you don't need to have an emotional breakdown and therefore you calmed yourself by a strong thought process or something like that.

I hope it's that, that you're able to calm yourself by thinking and talking to yourself/visualizing/affirmation etc.
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I don't think suppressing your emotions is a good thing. If you bottle up your emotions, they will manifest and at some point they will erupt, and that never ends well. I find that the more I bottle up, the more numb and emotionless I feel until I reach crisis point, then BOOM. A good way of dealing with the unwanted thoughts/emotions is to write down what thought you are having and how it is making you feel. Sometimes you can't do this right in the moment, but if you keep writing them down, you will notice certain patterns and triggers, which may help you deal with them better in the future.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't feel uncomfortable afterwards, I don't feel much of anything at all. Maybe I'm not dealing with the emotions properly, or maybe I am not putting so much importance on things that upset me. Usually if someone were unkind to me, I would really get upset about it. Now I just don't think about it and let it go. So I feel in a way, maybe I am getting stronger emotionally. But I'm not sure because I never really had this feeling before.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.