Somnolence anyone?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by History, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. History

History Well-Known Member

any of you experiencing somnolence? I've been fighting it for months and can't seem to shake it off no matter what I do. It happens to be one of the side effects of taking Effexor but I need someone who can relate. I've tapered down my effexor dosage from 150mg to 75mg but I'm still feeling the same.
  2. Robin

Robin Guest

I didn't even know there was a term for that (and I had to look the word up), I guess I should have known there would have been. Until about a week ago if I got 3 hours sleep in a row I was doing good, it happens for various reasons. Otherwise I can spend pretty much all day and all night in bed, it's worse if I'm on anti-psychotics because not only do I sleep for 18+ hours when I'm awake I can barely function, I'm not a threat to anyone, myself included but when you can barely stay awake enough to pee I think it's going too far.

I don't mind sleeping a lot, trouble is when I have visitors I really want to spend my time with them and if any see this post they may crack a joke about me in response lol

I also tend not to travel well either, meaning I spend even more time asleep when am away.
  3. History

wow. finally i found someone who suffers from the same thing that I'm experiencing. I also only discovered the 'term' today. For months I couldn't explain it to anyone cos no matter how i described it, they just say that i have lazed in the house too much and thats why. Checked it out. It doesn't go away no matter how much one sleeps. funny thing is that my Pdoc thinks i'm talking nonsense and it's psychological and my family thinks I'm lethargic due to inactivity.
  4. Robin

Robin Guest

It could be all the above, I know it takes energy to exercise but that exercise also gives you more energy. Depressed people tend to sleep either a lot more or a lot less than normal folks, it could just be down to that, or could be you have a fear of leaving the house and are just bored and tired of sitting inside the same 4 walls every day.
  5. History

nope. I'm too tired and lethergic to do anything at all. then the terrible feeling and urge to sleep practically keeps me from wanting to do anything. I dont even welcome friends nor look forward to go out because the way I feel.
  6. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I feel sleepy all the time, and when I'm not asleep, it's all I can do to just barely function in the world.

I have a somewhat related question- does somnolence affect your appetite at all? I find that I'm always hungry before I go to bed, but when I wake up, I don't feel hungry any more, so I can go almost the whole day without eating simply because it doesn't even cross my mind. Of course, this means I have even less energy, so I sleep even more, and that means I eat less, and... it's a vicious cycle.
  7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

i take effexor and yes it does make me tired ALL THE TIME...I also take seroquel which has a strong sedative effect but if I dont take it, I can stay awake for days, still be sleepy but unable to sleep...

that is the worse feeling, to feel tired and not be able to sleep...I can barely do anything...even small things like doing the dishes, brooming and even washing my own body are almost unbearable chores...
  8. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

Another new word for me.....
    I go in cycles. I go days with no sleep then I need to sleep for days. Most of my meals are just before bed time on those sleepy days. When I am awake I don't eat regular meals. I just snack on vegies I prepare before hand cause I know I won't have the energy to do it later.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.