• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Songs and Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evael

It's not uncommon to attach music to memories. Maybe from a film you watch, the song playing in the end credits could stick with you, reminding you of the film whenever you hear it. Reminding you of how the film made you feel. Ocean Man by Ween would be a good example - for people like me who grew up with SpongeBob, this song may give them a nostalgic reminder of their childhood.

Or it could be a song you listened to a lot at an important stage of your life. A song played when you first meet the one you fall in love with, a song played on the radio during a memorable car journey, or whatever. Songs can have different meanings to different people when you take this personal experiences into account. Some can hold good memories, some can hold bad memories.

But what if your favourite songs become attached to these bad memories?

It's not so bad when it's vice versa, I suppose. Not that I'd know... but I've never heard of anyone having negative connections to a pleasant event because they don't like the song associated with it. When it comes to songs having a negative connection because of the event, however, wouldn't it completely change your enjoyment of the songs? Would you still be able to enjoy them even when they remind you of bad memories?

I'm wondering what would be done in this scenario. Would it be best to avoid the music you used to love, try your best to move on from the event and hear the music from a more subjective viewpoint, or something else?

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
It's not uncommon to attach music to memories. Maybe from a film you watch, the song playing in the end credits could stick with you, reminding you of the film whenever you hear it. Reminding you of how the film made you feel. Ocean Man by Ween would be a good example - for people like me who grew up with SpongeBob, this song may give them a nostalgic reminder of their childhood.

Or it could be a song you listened to a lot at an important stage of your life. A song played when you first meet the one you fall in love with, a song played on the radio during a memorable car journey, or whatever. Songs can have different meanings to different people when you take this personal experiences into account. Some can hold good memories, some can hold bad memories.

But what if your favourite songs become attached to these bad memories?

It's not so bad when it's vice versa, I suppose. Not that I'd know... but I've never heard of anyone having negative connections to a pleasant event because they don't like the song associated with it. When it comes to songs having a negative connection because of the event, however, wouldn't it completely change your enjoyment of the songs? Would you still be able to enjoy them even when they remind you of bad memories?

I'm wondering what would be done in this scenario. Would it be best to avoid the music you used to love, try your best to move on from the event and hear the music from a more subjective viewpoint, or something else?
A person with a trauma would likely to be trigger by anything that is associated to such trauma, even their favorite songs. They would either avoid those songs or keep on listening as a part of grieving. It takes time to move on, just to view those songs like how they used to be.

Personally, I've never experienced such trauma before. The above is just my opinion on the matter.

I wondered why certain songs from my youth made me sad. I looked them up and they all seemed to come from the end of 1982. I realised that they all came from the time that I learned that my first girlfriend wasn't my girlfriend and was in fact everyone else's girlfriend. Teenage heartbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00