Songs you should listen to strike back at the depression!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ordep, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm depressed, I'm going thru the worst of times and I'm not sure if I'm gonna live through this, I sure as heck don't want to, I just wanna... well we all know how it feels, we all know how much it hurts, but do we really know what to do to keep the depression away? Besides "being strong" and "having faith" there are many small pratical things we can do to keep our ghosts away. And right now it's late night over here and that seems to be the time where I'm better and more stable so I'm gonna take this chance to show you something I've put togheter. I've searched high and low for my favorite good hearted songs that make me feel better about myself and give me a surge of energy that might just help me make through the day, so now I present you the:

"Top-15 Best (Metal) Songs To Strike Back At The Depression!"

Now, before I start I just want to say this is obviously personal preference and bias so I don't really expect everyone or anyone to agree 100% with my picks, and I'm sure everyone has a better song under the sleeve to fill the nr.1 spot, but what I want is that you actally try out the songs I'll name and you may find 1 or 2 new songs to listen when you're feeling really down.

Also, as I said this is personal bias and since I'm a metal guy... well all songs are Metal... but still, I urge you to at least try a few songs even if you're not a metal fan. I have a feeling you won't regret it...

So without further ado let's get started!

United by Stratovarious from the album "Stratovarius" (neat huh?)
    Yeah this is a kinda cheesy song the Finns Stratovarious got here, but it's not a bad song, not at all. The rhythm is spaced and adequate to make room for the voice to do its job and they even throw in a keyboard solo. Nice!
    The lyrics speak about friendship and union (like you couldnt figure that out huh?) and while a little clichet-ish, they certainly have heart, and that's what matter on the long run. Give it a shot!

Nova Era by Angra from the album "Rebirth"
    Ahhh Angra, if there's a band that knows how to make some good positive songs, it's this Brazilians right here. Angra was always blessed by good musicians with lots of talent so obviously great songs have come out of their recording sessions. Anyway, Nova Era (Portuguese for New Era/Age) is a fast tempo'ed song that sports lots of lightning speed guitar playing and some amazing drum tricks, complemented with great lyrics that speak of the importance of keeping a positive attitude and not giving up without a fight. Sure, it's still alittle cheesy, but I'm sure some people out there will like it, I know I do! If you're a metal fan, don't miss it. If you're not, give it a shot anyway :cool:

Fly By Blind Guardian from the album "A Twist In The Myth"
    This song ususally divides fans of the band as some hate it and other love it. Suffice to say, it's about the film "Finding Neverland", more precisely Peter Pan's (now an adult) struggle to fly once more. Surelly it may not sound at home in this list but somehow I end up relation Peter Pan's struggle to a happier and funnier version of my own struggles. It's a very good hearted song with an amazing vocal performance by Hansi Kursch.

On Top Of The World by Edenbridge for the album "The Grand Design"
    This one may be alittle harder to track since the band is not that famous, but if you like female fronted metal bands, then you're going to love Edenbridge. On Top Of The World has a really catchy guitar line and is extremely easy and straightfoawrd to hear. The voices are masterfully delivered by Edenbridge's amazing singer, giving the whole song a really nice and seductively pleasant atmosphere, even tough the lyrics themselves are kinda berserker and at least to me don't make that much sense. But still, if you like female with great soprano voices and techincal guitar playing, get this song!

Season Of Change be Stratovarious for the album "Episode"
    The second Stratovarious song of the list, Season Of Change kicks off with a slow acousctic melody while the singer sings some laid back verses about a man in depression. Then, as the song begins to build up and becomes more like a metal ballad and, joinging the song progression, the lyrics turn from sad and hopeless to confident and hopefull, creating a song full of meaning and depth that is a must hear for anyone having a hard time. The performance on both instruments and voices is not mind blowing, but I still think this song's a must listen to anyone who's having a bad time.

So that's it for the last 5 places in the list, tune in for part 2 later and have a great day everyone. Take care :hugtackles:
  2. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I Walk Beside You by Dream Theater from the album "Octavarium"
    Ok, first off this sounds alot like U2 so if you don't like that you might not like this song. That said, this Dream Theater song is actually really nice to listen and just chill. It's warm hearted and like the title suggests, it's about helping others. If you go for it, try to find the live version in the "Score" album because that's just mind blowing.

Heroes Of Our Time by Dragonforce from the album "Ultra Beatdown"
    Dragonforce likes to play it fast... usually too fast... but sometimes they get it right and this is one such times. As any Dragonforce song the main focus is the guitars and those are... fast... really really fast, but the vocals are what really push the bar in this song, being simple enough to remember fast and catchy enough to make you want to sing along, even if you think Dragonforce sucks, try it, you might just like it.

Rebirth by Angra from the album "Rebirth"
    Straight from Angra's Rebirth, I picked the title track for the pth spot, and really, I could pick the whole album since this album is so much positive. But anyway, Rebirth is, like the title suggests, about starting over, it's very ballad-ish, warm and easy to listen, you can just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere the song creates, you should really try it.

Another Day by Dream Theater from the album "Images And Words"
    Dream Theater are the masters of instrumental prowess, there's just no discussion. It's just great, especially if you're a musician. That said, alot of people complain that while the instrumental parts take up alot of spotlight, the vocals suffer, to the point where they made full instrumental shows... Well Another Day is actually an example of the exact opposite, being well balanced between the instruments and the vocals and creating a small but epic song with simply out of this world vocals that will make you awe. Dream Theater rules and you'll know as soon as you take a look at this song.

Make Believe by Angra from the album "Holy Land"
    Ok, so you surely noticed by now that there's alot of Angra on this list... well, I did try to make cover alot of bands but it's just hard when Angra's so positive in nature. Anyway, Make Believe is a full ballad, except for a solo near the end, and like most Angra song, it's warm and easy to listen, good just to sit back, relax and enjoy. Now, the lyrics talk about a man about to commit suicide, but like Another Day, the premise is that he should still "believe and live another day", it's really a great song to hear when you're feeling down and while the album version is cool, I'd go for the "Live in São Paulo" version since the new singer seems to breath new life into that song.

The Shattered Fortress by Deam Theater from the album "Dark Clouds And Silver Linings"
    This is where the real deal starts, this song is a must listen to anyone feeling depressed or suicidal, either if you're a metal fan or not, it's a great hearing, especially with the lyrics in front of you. It's a huge song that tells the story of a man just like we, depressed and near the edge of the cliff, starting from his despair and agony all the way to him overcoming the ordeal and becoming someone much better, each transition of state being marked with majestic instumental pieces. It's an amazing song and a even more amazing lesson to learn, listen to it, you won't regret it.

Carry On by Angra, from the album "Angels Cry"
    OK, so this is the very last Angra song on this list, and it's actually the oldest, coming from the very first album. It's really fast and technical and if you're a musician you're gonna be blown away by the amount of sheer talent this guys have, everyone has it's own solo here and no one compromises one bit, every second of it is pure genious. The lyrics like so many other songs in this list are about moving foward and not giving up and while in all fairness they're not the best lyrics I've seen, they work and are masterully delivered by Angra's first singer (the new singer doesn't seem so at home with this song IMO, so you might look for the album version first.)

Power by Helloween from the album "The Time Of The Oath"
    Ahhh Helloween, talk about a funny and cheerfull little band of musicians, there's so much joy and cheerfulness in this band you could cure your depression just by standing near them. Suffice to say, Power is a masterpiece, maybe not so much on the instrumental prowess field as that's not Helloween's strong point, but on the attitude and enjoyability of the song. You can't go wrong with lyrics that tells us that well... "We have the power!" it's really the kind of song you should get the lyrics and sing along, you'll see how good you feel :biggrin:

Head Up High by Firewind from the album "The Premonition"
    This song was tailor made to fight off depressions and does an amazing job at it, very much like Power, this song DEMANDS for a song along and gosh does it feel good. Also, the guitars on this are simply out of this world. With lyrics about positive thinking and believing in yourself, Head Up High is a song that should be in the Ipod of every depressive person.

and the nr. 1 song to fight depressions is...

Future World by Helloween from the album "Keeper Of The Seven Keys, part 1"
    Oh my God this song is just amazing, seriously, I dare you to listen to the song and keep a straight face from beggining to end, I know I can't, even these days. It's just so fun and positive that it can really become comical in a way, with so much life and joy that you'll just feel atleast a little better about yourself by just listening. The instrumentals are good, nothing out of this world, but who cares? The song is an amazing ride trough happy land, and that's much more important in this case.
    Just like to emphasise that this is the mother of all happy songs, the band decide to add the song of a child giggling right in a middle, as to mimmic the reaction they expect from the listener. Near the end the singer lets out a "Scream it now!" that marks the part where the whole band starts singing along the last chorus, but is also where you should really start singing along too and see just how great it feels. There really is only one way for you to understand just how great this song is... go listen to it!

So here you go, my personal top-15 best songs to fight a depression, I hope you find some songs in here to fight your owns depressions and that it actually helps you live longer and happier, I'd also love to hear what songs you like to listen to in order to feel better about yourself, it doesn't have to be a top-15 or a complex detailed list, but you should share, music is a great medium to help people in a crisis.

Also, while I usually feel better with happy songs when I'm depressed, I've heard people who actually prefer to listen to sad songs when they're sad, so if anyone would like to see a top-15 for sad songs instead of happy ones, just say so and I'll get it done, till then, take care and be stong!
  3. canis-lupis

canis-lupis Well-Known Member

so true , music does help lift the mood, I guess we all have our own coping / distraction methods. Glad you found something that helps

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

It's not 'Metal', but "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. should be on any list of "help" songs.
  5. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I never said it needed to be metal, any song will do. Good call:wink:
  6. 12years

12years Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I believe you forgot the Macarena song.
  7. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

I listen to metal but I also read somewhere about majority of people that listen to metal suffer from depression and that there is a link between the two but meh. Just remember not to lose yourself completely to the music.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.