sorry isnt enough

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by muslim, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muslim

muslim Well-Known Member

It teaches a great Lesson and I hope you read and enjoy.There was a boy who was always losing his temper. His father gave him a bag full of nails and said to him, “My son, I want you to hammer a nail into our garden fence every time you need to direct your anger against something and you lose your temper.”

So the son started to follow his father’s advice. On the first day he hammered in 37 nails, but getting the nails into the fence was not easy, so he started trying to control himself when he got . As the days went by, he was hammering in less nails, and within weeks he was able to control himself and was able to refrain from getting and from hammering nails. He came to his father and told him what he had achieved. His father was with his efforts and said to him: “But now, my son, you have to take out a nail for every day that you do not get .”

The son started to take out the nails for each day that he did not get , until there were no nails left in the fence.

He came to his father and told him what he had achieved. His father took him to the fence and said, “My son, you have done well, but look at these holes in the fence. This fence will never be the same again.” Then he added: “When you say things in a state of anger, they leave marks like these holes on the hearts of others. You can stab a person and withdraw the knife but it doesn’t matter how many times you say ‘I’m sorry,’ because the wound will remain.
  2. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

That's awesome Muslim =] thanks for sharing
  3. muslim

muslim Well-Known Member

not at all my dear

that because you are nice person
  4. Jolanta

Jolanta Member & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Muslim, I have never heard this story before but it really touched my heart.
    I copied it and put it in my journal. Would it be OK if I told it to some people here where I live? I'd like to post it on my local newspapers website.:please:
  5. muslim

muslim Well-Known Member

you are welcomed

as i copied it and pasted it in that forum

you have the right to do the same

thank you

Best Regards
  6. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

Interesting, gives you something to think about.
  7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

that hit me really close to home:sad: how true. I have left too many "holes" in fences all over and around me. I can never repair that damage.:sad:
  8. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

Fences are inorganic, they're incapable of repairing harm. Humans can grow, change and heal. Therefore the allagory is flawed.
    : ]
  9. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

10. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

nice little story but doesnt make me feel to good seeing as how ive done this to friends that i love. i wish i had some other way of repaying them.
  11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

But perry unlike that fence, your friends are capable of forgiveness. If they are real friends, they will understand if you make the effort to "repair the holes". Try 1st before you give up on them or yourself. What have you got to lose? A true friend understands and never expects to be repaid, only loved.

muslim i really took to heart what your story had to say. It is a lesson I try to teach my children everyday. I will be telling them this story and hope that one day they can tell it to their children and help nuture the lesson of love to all people in this world.
  12. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

thank you for the kind words.
  13. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

True story. I like it. Thx for sharing!
  14. muslim

muslim Well-Known Member

thanks for all of you
  15. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing the story, did u mention you copied and paste it here? Was it from a website, if so could you share it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.