Sorry, this rant is really pretty pointless... some questions about love I guess...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Syn, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Okay, so today's subject for my rant is love. No, I'm not going to talk about how lonely I feel or how I wish somebody loved me, in fact it's almost the opposite but not quite because then it would be motivational-ish instead of ranting... I think (Then again I'm in an upbeat and sober for once, yet pissed off and going on a rampage, and your along for the ride now)... Anyways, my first question to anyone who reads this is this, is there ever a point where you should give up on love? For those who say yes, is that only because you've given up yourself? For those who say no, why do you think that? I mean, I've litterally never had a relationship and sure it used to hurt like hell and I felt like crap and hated myself because I'm completely undesireable and I know it. I gave up on love a while back, someone may try to convince me to try again, but honestly I can't, and no I'm not saying I have an overwhelming fear of rejection (Not anymore at least) I literally don't have the slightest clue what love is or what it feels like or why people seek it anymore. I mean, first off love is not a requirement to life. You can live a happy and fulfilling life without a partner, or you could be even more miserable with someone than single. So this leads to my second question, why do people seek affection? Why do people want to feel validated? Why not just live for yourself and not care if anyone else approves or not? What do you do when you forget what love is?

I guess this was brought on because I saw this really cute girl at college, and I was gonna talk to her just because why the fuck not right? Well then I started laughing at myself because what do I say? What do I do? I know how to become somebodies friend, that's easy enough when I actually try. However what baffled me is that I litterally have no clue how you'd go from friend to something more. Is that wrong? I mean, it seems to me like everyone is hardwired with this love thing and they all have at least some clue what it is and how to let someone know your interested in them. People normally feel some kind of emotion when they think about love right? Not me. Then again, I don't thing like most people, in fact I really don't think like anyone else I've ever met or even heard of. So I guess my next question is, what is love? Pretty general and unspecific I know, but what is it about this concept of love that can rule us and make us hurt so badly? Why do we crave affection so much? (Yeah, I know I already asked that one, I did it for emphasis and I'm too lazy to delete it but not lazy enough to type up a full sentence justifying myself)

I just came up with the title, and it's pretty true I'm sad to say. I don't know if this is a rant or me just typing shit up for no reason, but I seem to have forgotten something most people seem to view as vital. I mean, I used to think it was vital too, so I'm not judging at all and if comes across that way I apologize. I just really am curious, what is this little thing called love that can completely dominate somebodies thoughts? Why do people seek affection to the point where they let themselves be controlled or even broken by it? If I see that cute girl again, what should I say? (That one was a joke, I know I fail at this humor thing, but I'm sober and my brain doesn't think it needs to sleep again...)

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Re: Sorry, this rant is really pretty pointless... some questions about love I guess.

Hi Syn...... guess rather than talk about 'love' (which means different things on different levels to different people)...... if you want to start at gound zero, breaking it down....... it starts with 'relationship'.

We are the products of relationship, and we're born into a family (of whatever description) where there are relationships, and we learn dependence upon our parent(s) for survival in relationship. Hopefully, they model to us the thing called love. Father would go to work out of love for his family, etc. Mother nurtures the young because innately we know that relationships are important in life - and from this modelling we pick up the "warm fuzzies" as children (hopefully) and get to understand that the people in our home express affection, and that love is a part of that.

Hopefully, this is still how it is to some extent for most people.......... so we learn about love as children, and then look forward to happy relationships in our own lives.

As we get older and run into people who do not love us, we learn what the opposite of love is, and tend to want to avoid them. So I guess we have something innate within that are our antennae-for-love.......which is sort of motivational. And it goes on from there.
    Hope I've made some sort of sense :) It may or may not be useful to your rant :)

3. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

Re: Sorry, this rant is really pretty pointless... some questions about love I guess.

You're putting out some questions that don't really have a straight forward answer :D. I've recently had a falling out with my BFF who I love to death. I would (or would have?) do anything for. I don't really know why people seek out love and affection. Humans are social beings and crave being around others a guess. Why we do I don't know.

I think someone should give up on a love, not love entirely, when the love is no longer worth what it costs. Or when the person you love doesn't seem to feel or treat you the same way. I believe people give up on love because they've been hurt and they don't want to get hurt again.

I think you should go and talk to the cute girl! you have nothing to lose. You'll never know if you don't try. And the more you do it the easier it'll become.

I hope that I've helped, and that this makes sense :)