souls arent real life is over after death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darken

Sorry if its disapointing, but its by far most likely the truth. All those storys your parents told you were bullshit. Those magic books from gods are all bullshit and lies written by men. No heaven no hell no reincarnation no mothership.
If you think about it thoroughly tho Its not so bad, do you really want their to be such thing as a hell? Or a pointless reincarnation cycle? and what would heaven be? Theirs no such thing as perfect, what one person thinks may be heaven another person may think its a hell. I think life is hell, if heaven is real and anything at all like this life it would be hell to me. I wouldnt want to be around humans in a afterlife.

Read a history book , see the hundreds of different beliefs people once had that are now mostly thought of as ridiculous fairy tales and myths in our time. Now what makes yours any different?

This way meteor, Hit this planet, destroy it all.

Theirs no such thing as perfect, what one person thinks may be heaven another person may think its a hell. I think life is hell, if heaven is real and anything at all like this life it would be hell to me. I wouldnt want to be around humans in a afterlife.
I don't believe in Hell becaus in the original Christian belief there was none, it flowed in from the religion of the old German stems. I do believe in Heaven, I think it's a little different for everyone.

muslim

I don't believe in Hell becaus in the original Christian belief there was none, it flowed in from the religion of the old German stems. I do believe in Heaven, I think it's a little different for everyone.
if u believe that there is good and bad
angel and evil
lamb and lion

so as a result u most believe in heaven and hell

worlds edge

Sorry if its disapointing, but its by far most likely the truth. All those storys your parents told you were bullshit. Those magic books from gods are all bullshit and lies written by men. No heaven no hell no reincarnation no mothership.
I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but since you're the one making the assertion, it is your burden to provide the proof.

If you think about it thoroughly tho Its not so bad, do you really want their to be such thing as a hell? Or a pointless reincarnation cycle? and what would heaven be? Theirs no such thing as perfect, what one person thinks may be heaven another person may think its a hell. I think life is hell, if heaven is real and anything at all like this life it would be hell to me. I wouldnt want to be around humans in a afterlife.
So what. Just because you want it to be this way that's no proof that it is necessarily going to be that way. This is proof of nothing.

Read a history book , see the hundreds of different beliefs people once had that are now mostly thought of as ridiculous fairy tales and myths in our time. Now what makes yours any different?
So what (again). Truth and falsehood are not determined based upon popularity.

You're talking like an atheist, but reasoning like a Christian. With all due respect.

Doubtless Bruce Willis would fly up on a rocket ship to the rescue. :wink:

Darken

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but since you're the one making the assertion, it is your burden to provide the proof.
I have proof, I know its foolish to believe in something with out evidence.

So what. Just because you want it to be this way that's no proof that it is necessarily going to be that way. This is proof of nothing.
Thats not the way I want it to be, thats the way its most likely going to be based on the evidence ive aquired so far.

So what (again). Truth and falsehood are not determined based upon popularity.
err so what? Im not basing what I said on popularity, Im basing it on reason. Through history hundreds of religions and supernatural beliefs have been disproven and with science were learning more and more about the universe and life and all of them so far have been naturalistic, no gods or supernaturalism. All the evidence is against those theorys . In conclusion I came to believe that they will all eventually be disproven completely.

D

dani_badseeds

I have proof, I know its foolish to believe in something with out evidence. .
curious... just how do you have proof that there is no afterlife/heaven/hell/and so forth? i don't mean that in how did you get it but more over how could you POSSIBLY get that kind of proof.

It's just one of those unexplainable things in life that you can only know and understand once you're dead... and then who are you gonna tell? all the other dead chaps and poker players huddled around you cause you're "fresh meat"?

As for all this talk of religion and beliefs.. As far as we know it's man made.. there's power in faith, in the higher power watching over us, even though it had to be created. If there is something after.. it's obviously not gonna be a giant in a white roman gown and a huge beard with st peter at some gold or pearly gates. You can believe in what is said about your gods well enough but how in the hell can you not find the specifics just a little far fetched?

They're talking about KNOWING everything about heaven.. and yet at the same time say it's so wonderful it should be a suprise......?

TG123

Hi Zohmygob,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Here is mine.

Sometimes I too wish there was no life after death, that once we die we just disappear into nothingness. That there is no Hell to fear, that I wouldn't have to worry about these things.

But it's not the case. God does exist, and our life on earth does not end after we die. We must decide during our lives where we want to spend eternity. God came down to earth in the form of Jesus Christ and died on the cross for our sins and showed us a different way to live. If we put our faith in Him and follow Him, we will go to Heaven. And as much as I hate to say this, if we choose to reject Him we risk going to Hell.

God loves me and He loves you and He loves everyone here. We can all be saved by putting our faith in Christ. Believing in Him helped me to serve others and care about others more, it has helped me get through many difficult times, and it gives me the courage to face everyday. I'm not perfect and I don't live a life free of worries or pain, in fact it was so bad a few months ago that I thought of killing myself and even tried. If it wasn't for God, I wouldn't be alive today.

Heaven is not my motivation for living or trying to follow God. I know I will get there, but it's not something I am thinking about or looking forward to. I am not worthy of it, although Jesus promised it to me. I am grateful for all the love He has shown for me and for all He has done for me.

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

I agree with you. But sometimes there's a little something in the back of my mind that scares me... The thought that a God could exist and send me to hell or something nasty like that. :ohmy:

worlds edge

Well, what is it then? Don't keep us all in suspense. Let's see the proof where you eliminated the afterlife. I'll defer any further response until I find out how you've been able to disprove such a thing.

Darken

What do you want me to prove? Its already been proven in science. There is no evidence for souls, as far as we know they dont exist. There is evidence that we just rot in the ground and all our memorys are gone though. I cant disprove something thats not there. I cant disprove leprechauns or fairys or zeus or thor or teapots orbiting the moon, but until we find evidence for these things we can only assume they dont exist.

PoetMan

I very much want to believe you, Zohmygob. I live my life in hopes that there is no afterlife. But I was raised in a very Christian home, and so it's hard to shake the beliefs I was raised with. After my last suicide attempt my mom said the only reason I didn't die is because an angel stopped me, which is bullshit.

If you have some proof that there is no heaven and no hell, no God and no souls, I would very much like to see it. I'm very open to convincing, but be prepared for an argument.

worlds edge

What do you want me to prove? Its already been proven in science.
False. The existence or non-existence of a non-corporeal part of the totality composing a human being does not lend itself to investigation via the scientific method.

That I agree it seems quite unlikely is not at all the same thing. And, as an aside, my biggest disagreement with those who posit a soul stems from the fact that I can see no qualities that it has that are not traceable in reality to something material, typically something in the brain.

There is no evidence for souls, as far as we know they dont exist.
I agree with this statement, the problem is that it is not at all what you said in the post you made opening this thread. You seem to be backpedaling. I'll finish this message and see if I can go back and via edit drop in what I mean.

Edit:
This is the passage. You've made two positive assertions, that you have both "proof" and "evidence" of the soul's nonexistence. By doing this, you take on the burden that is normally the responsibility those who believe in the soul. See where my problem with what you're saying what you said is?

There is evidence that we just rot in the ground and all our memorys are gone though.
There's evidence that this happens to our body and everything in it, including our brain. That I agree with. We simply do not know beyond that.

I cant disprove something thats not there. I cant disprove leprechauns or fairys or zeus or thor or teapots orbiting the moon, but until we find evidence for these things we can only assume they dont exist.
I agree, but this does not in and of itself constitute a proof or what I believe a philosopher would term ontological evidence. You used much, much stronger language than you're using now at the start of this thread. You seemingly wanted to shift the burden of proof...onto yourself. And that was candidly what got my nose out of joint. You're now correctly, and rather more realistically, pointing out that it is the responsibility of those who claim a soul exists to prove it. But this is not at all the same thing as claiming you can prove yourself that souls don't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darken

If you have some proof that there is no heaven and no hell, no God and no souls, I would very much like to see it. I'm very open to convincing, but be prepared for an argument.

I really understand how you feel, I was raised in a christian home too, I never new any that could atheist to influence me.
The reason I became a atheist was because I actually read the whole bible I didnt "chery pick" and I learned that it is a contradictory primite book written by barbaric men and no superior being would ever write something so repulsive.
Im not trying to turn people or anything but if you want to learn more watch some of these videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=GIIVideo

PoetMan

To say that all faith is useless or ignorant is itself an ignorant statement. Faith is an inborn fact of human nature. We are bred with the idea in our primitive minds that there is some sort of higher power or governing order. If there isn't, then what are observation-only scientists struggling so hard to understand? I can provide all kinds of proof that faith is a part of human nature because I just finished a paper on the subject.

I have read the bible twice, and I don't notice any major inconsistencies. There are a lot of things that are set down one way and then changed later, which causes some confusion about what the rules really are. But the belief that the bible the way we have it today is the inspired word of God is a matter of faith. That's what I was raised to think: you have to make a choice. Either you believe it or you don't. I believe it. I don't have to have any proof that it's true, I have faith that it's true.

That said, given that I think the bible is true, there is an awful lot in there that I wish wasn't true because I don't like it. I don't agree that gays are evil. I don't think God loves us, or cares a fig what we do or don't do down here. I don't believe in good or evil spirits. Satan, as far as I can tell from the bible, works for God and is not the ruler of a place of torment. So I don't believe a lot of things that people project on to me when they find out I'm a christian, but I can't help but believe some of it.

P

ProzacDeathWish

I am still waiting to see the proof for the existence of souls. If souls do exist then substantiate your claim. Fair enough ? :blink:

Last edited:
What do you want me to prove? Its already been proven in science. There is no evidence for souls...
Actually thats not true.

There is roughly 10% of a persos DNA that has not been decoded, and this is rumored to be a "Soul" Think about it. DNA is simply somethings genitic makeup, and that makeup is made of cells, so perhaps that little 10% is what the Soul actually is, not sime sort of energy substane floating freely through space and time

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00