Space travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

They say we'll all eventually be shot into space to look for new planets to live on 'cause we fucked this planet Earth up so badly. Do you want to go? I don't. I don't think we were all meant to be shot into space to look around the universe. We all should take better care of our Earth and stay right here.

It's in our nature to explore the worlds around us. I would love to go to space and to new planets, but it most certainly won't be in my lifetime that we have the means to send common folk into space.

Mikeintx

Oh it will def be in your lifetime junkie... just wont be far off the planet, it will be low earth orbit as a few private companies are really working to make earth orbit travel cost effective.

aoeu

If there had been the political will, we could have 8 million ton ships flying at 1/10 the speed of light at the moment [problem: involves detonation of 800 atomic bombs inside the atmosphere in quick succession]. I'm very sad that we can't do that now. :(

Anyhow, I think we will get off this planet eventually, but we still need to take care of our home...

shades

Staff Alumni
If you listen to about 99% of all scientists who have researched such things as global warming, carbon emmisions, deforrestation, over fishing, soil analysis, population growth, disease and on and on, there is a definite consensus that we have passed the point of no return.

Whether they can figure out a method for us to survive in some way, probably underground, it may be that the earth could still be inhabitable. But there is most certainly a chance that people could live in orbiting space stations.

If humans live long enough the sun will burn out and we wiill have had to move on.

I would LOVE to be able to explore space. I love exploring, as in the sense of finding something new or old. So being able to explore a new planet would be in my top 10 wishes before I die. But it won't happen soon which makes me a sad panda....(dont know why I used that lol)

shades

Staff Alumni
They say we'll all eventually be shot into space to look for new planets to live on 'cause we fucked this planet Earth up so badly. Do you want to go? I don't. I don't think we were all meant to be shot into space to look around the universe. We all should take better care of our Earth and stay right here.
I find your post interesting because 1) I believe it will eventually happen and 2) ther was a movie made about it in the 1950's. (I forget the name) But it was a group of people who had to decide which people would be picked to survive by being shot into space in a rocket. Obviously ahead of it's time with some excellent scientific explanations as to why (I think it had to do with the earth axis off kilter)

Issaccs

If there had been the political will, we could have 8 million ton ships flying at 1/10 the speed of light at the moment [problem: involves detonation of 800 atomic bombs inside the atmosphere in quick succession]. I'm very sad that we can't do that now. :(

Anyhow, I think we will get off this planet eventually, but we still need to take care of our home...
Meh, their is no will because their is no purpose for it.

Zurkhardo

Like nearly every other technological field, space travel will certainly make rapid advanced, perhaps far more than we can forsee today. Every country from Brazil to India is embracing either a full-blown space program or, at the very least, space technology. Heck, even Nigeria and South Africa have their own domestically made satellites. And these are just the national efforts - as more and more capital is available privately, along with access to such technology, private corporations and even individuals benefactors are tapping into this market (we've already had 3 full-blown space tourists). The chances for advancment in space travel will only increase as more nations become wealthier, most previously uneducated people go to school, and innovations compound upon one another to produce ever greater innovations still!

As for the will, there is indeed still a lot we care to explore. The moon alone is expected to recieve a good 7 or 8 missions within the next few years by no less than 6 different countries (the US, Russia, Japan, EU, India, and China). Mars is increasingly becoming the subject of a next 'space race' for exploration. And as for the need for colonies, a likely reality given the issues we face today, efforts like the International Space Station are providing testing ground for what it would take to colonize and settle space (since terraforming Mars for human habitation would likely take at least a millenium).

Random

Yeah. I'm sure we'll infest and pollute as much of the universe as we can spread to eventually. If we last long enough to figure out how to do it.

pit

Yeah. I'm sure we'll infest and pollute as much of the universe as we can spread to eventually. If we last long enough to figure out how to do it.
Well, we shouldn't let that happen. Therefore, I propose an an Anti-Human Race Council which will put birth control substances in all water systems. It'll be just like Children of Men, heh.

just.me

Account Closed
Well, we shouldn't let that happen. Therefore, I propose an an Anti-Human Race Council which will put birth control substances in all water systems. It'll be just like Children of Men, heh.
and by doing so you may prevent the birth of a great leader
or a second Albert Einstein...

pit

and by doing so you may prevent the birth of a great leader
or a second Albert Einstein...
Yeah, I know. I just want the whole thing to end. Humans would endanger the universe. Haven't we had enough "progress" for this past 10,000 years?

just.me

Account Closed
Yeah, I know. I just want the whole thing to end. Humans would endanger the universe. Haven't we had enough "progress" for this past 10,000 years?
ok let me ask you something
lets say that for one day you gain gods ability's
and god tells you to decide to keep humanity or to kill them all
he also tells you to think about it for 3 days.
what will you choose?
let your imagination to do its job :)
remember you have all the ability's god have

scorpio63

New Member & Antiquities Friend
Sign me up for a one way ticket if need be. The Pillars of Creation, a super massive black hole, ride the shock wave of a super nova, M31 with the naked eye? Oh lordy, beam me up Scotty we got places to go and things to see!!!!

pit

ok let me ask you something
lets say that for one day you gain gods ability's
and god tells you to decide to keep humanity or to kill them all
he also tells you to think about it for 3 days.
what will you choose?
let your imagination to do its job :)
remember you have all the ability's god have
Hmm, very interesting. If I had God's ability, I would come to earth in hunky young man form and bed a number of sexxy women from all over the world. Then when I've had enough, I'd kill humanity.

just.me

Account Closed
Hmm, very interesting. If I had God's ability, I would come to earth in hunky young man form and bed a number of sexxy women from all over the world. Then when I've had enough, I'd kill humanity.
but if you will kill humanity you will no longer have "sexxy women" to
spend your time with in the feature, think about it...
you will also be VERY lonely, no more SF, no more people to talk to...
a vast and empty universe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00