Speaking out against religion

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Esmeralda, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

On this site, I see a lot of disrespect for the religious/spiritual beliefs of others. People either imply or just simply state that believing in God makes someone stupid or naive or "a sheep". They say very offensive things like "If God does exist, then he's an asshole".

This is getting ridiculous. Do you people realize that it can be very upsetting for someone who is holding onto their faith as a source of hope to be essentially berated or called stupid for what they believe?

So many people here rail against people who believe in God and insult their intelligence or their mental and emotional strength and stability. They seem so very angry, citing intolerance on the part of the believer. Well, the only intolerance I see here is on the part of people who literally seem to HATE anyone with a spiritual belief system.

Intolerance goes both ways people. How can you honestly stand your own hypocrisy? How can you be so judgemental? Do you even THINK about the effects that your condescending and hateful words have on some of the members here, who much like yourselves are going through depression and suicidal tendencies?

Please think before you speak and try to appreciate and respect the beliefs of others on this forum. I am not for site censorship, but I AM for self-censorship. Give other people the respect and courtesy that you yourselves would like to have given to you. I have seen many people here who feel very discouraged, depressed and insulted by other members here because of this and being a support forum, I think that is shameful.

2. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

I have no problem with religion or faith. (We all have faith in something)

I think there's a fine line between upholding your beliefs and voicing your opinion and destroying somebody elses beliefs and opinion. Yeah sure, I do believe God is somewhat of an asshole, but that stuff... It's not meant to offend. If you told me you think Dexter is a shit awful show, that's your opinion. I'll still like it, of course.

What I'm trying to get at, is I agree with most of your points. Everybody should be vocal about their beliefs. I'm pretty liberal with it. Around me, people can say whatever the hell they want. But that's just my comfort zone, and seeing as this is a pro-life, "safe" community... I do agree. There's a fine line between criticizing something, and just plain bashing it.

3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I do understand that. And that's one of the reasons why I've changed my attitude on religion a little recently. I do sometimes go off the deep end because, frankly, religion has done probably at least as much damage as it's done good.

But I totally agree that if holding on to religion can give someone enough hope to keep on living, maybe that's not such a bad thing. I just get upset when religious people can't live and let live.

4. Quid Pro Quo for the ones that mount their own pulpits here. And as the mods and admin have said countless times - on BOTH sides - if you don't like it - don't read it. :dry:

5. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i do not have a problem with any god, i have a problem with religion because generally it is absurd....a few examples:
    the catholic churchs official philosophy is thomist aristotolean, therefore meaning that when they say 'this bread is the flesh of christ and this wine si his blood' they are stating although it has not changed according to all the tests we could do it becomes a metaphysical essence, it becomes jesus (yeshua ben yusef) flesh and blood. the only church i know openly promoting cannibalism and i personally see nothing holy in eating the flesh of a 2000 yr old dead jew!
    The pope is also supposedly 'infallible', hes voted into position by the council of cardinals....if the council of cardinals is infallible they may have been wrong in saying the pope is infallible...so if the pope is infallible it follows that the council of cardinals is infallible, therefore the people who voted the council of cardinals into their position are infallible...etc into infinite regress!
    also in such a crazy world the pope thinks he can tell us how to live our lives, how to go about our marriage! must be good advice coming from a celebate man in an all male society that wears skirts! i dont even know how to go about my life so how would he know?
    its almost as absurd as feminists! they make gross generalisations of a whole gender of a whole species! they were even absurd enough to state 'sexual intercourse is not necessarily exploitative of the woman as long as the man does not have an erection at the time'!!!!!!'
    im not kidding thats what they said!
    The pope also said loving your wife too much is as bad as adultery!
    The ayatollah said that habitually sodomising a camel is regrettable but is not legitimate grounds for divorce, because allah does not approve divorce, but....BUT if you habitually sodomise your brother in law then that is grounds for divorce!!!!!
    as for christianity, they refuse to use jesus's name (yeshua ben yusef) and believe a god that knows everything, created everything and is all loving will refuse someone into heaven-no matter how good a life they lead-if they did not follow him.....i find this absurd. also god stated to love everyone yet he smites people, fire and brimstone upon cities, plagues for years on end.....he punishes when people are bad! yet in my profession i use a training technique called modern operant conditioning, you can get people to do what you want without punishment, god should know this.....yet he doesnt punish us now, years later when the world is much worse.
    Also they decided jesus was the actual son of god at a meeting...they voted for it!
    christmas is a pagan tradition as with many others, just adapted for christianity to pull in punters.
    christianity was for years the main producer of alcohol and gunpowder....very holy:wink:
    it just goes on and on

6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Ive seen no examples of what your talking about here on S.F, only people with differing veiws on religion in the soap box.
    If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen, if your veiws on God are so fragile as that strangers on a forum are making you question your beliefs and therefore your self worth, stay out of those forums, especially the soap box being the only board we can continue such disscusions.
    Its a fair cop that any thread about religion in here will have its detractors, if you know that offends you, don't read them.

7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If you've seen no examples of what Anastasia is saying can I ask you read bhawks post above you.
    If there was ever an example of someone posting with no thought for anyone elses feelings or beliefs its there.

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I think there is a difference between questioning religion or stating your athiestic views etc and being deliberately offensive, which some people are. Calling God an a*rse hole is going to be offensive in the same way as if I called someone you love an a*rse hole even though I don't know them or have the experience of your relationship with them. You may think that people who are religious are deluded but you should remain generally respectful, as I would hope religious people would to athiests etc.

9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

all that i stated is things the religions themselves have stated, i am merely pointing out that they seem absurd.....do you think otherwise?
    as i said i have no problem with a 'god' just the 'official' interprators of his supposed works

10. Robin

Robin Guest

Is teaching those that listen to treat your fellow man with love, forgiveness and compassion absurd? Or do you generally ignore such things when you treat others?

11. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i am not saying the ideology is absurd, just that god contradicts it himself!
    its called being a hypocrite.
    i do not need a religion to show any altruistic traits!

12. Robin

Robin Guest

Pls be more clear whether it is God you have a problem with or the clergy / monks etc that spread his or her message.

13. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

everyone contradicts themselves at some point! dont mean i have a problem with god for it. also we only see this apparent contradiction due to his 'interprators'

14. Robin

Robin Guest

So it's ok for you to contradict yourself but not those that would follow the teachings of those before them to make the world that little bit better for those that follow them?

I find it hard how you can say that hunting is a complex thing and resolve the issue of religion in a few short words such as absurd or hypocritical while contradicting yourself along the way.

15. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i said i do not have a problem with god, thats true. i have a problem with the religions that come from a god, the dogma attached, the way the religions seem to know whats best for each person....its making gross generalisations about people and their lives. i do not like the way religions claim infallibility, the salvation, yet while they have such power over many people they contradict themselves and some of the dogma is seemingly absurd.
    if they claim to be infallible then i do not understand why we dont have all the answers.
    I do not see in any way how this is linked with my hunting thread?

16. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

and i said nothing about the followers, only the 'official interprators'

I have also NEVER claimed to be infallible!

17. Robin

Robin Guest

Which God then?

18. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i clearly said 'A GOD'
    monotheistic religions

19. Robin

Robin Guest

So why should we take the opinion of someone who is self admittedly not infallible that religion of any monotheistic God is worthless above those that preach love from such religions?

I take it you have no problems with Buddhism religions that believe in multiple deities?

20. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i am not asking anyone to take in my opinion. i merely stated what religions had stated themselves and my view on it. i NEVER stated god is worthless at any point and you are putting words in my mouth!
    Do you not see the absurdity in some of the statements i put up in my first post?
    again i will reiterate that i do not need religion to show any altruistic traits, nor do i disagreee with the ideaology.
    do you believe the pope is infallible?
    following that do you think the council of cardinals is infallible?
    following that do you think the people who voted them into position are infallible?
    etc etc etc................................
    i do not see why you so selectively use my text and twist my words:dry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.