Spirituality

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by jasonkramer, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

everyone has various needs they must fulfill in order to live a pleasant life. this could be food, social interaction, or security. one need i have been trying to fulfill for years is Spirituality.

i have tried many things and thus far have found nothing for me. i started with Christianity sense i grew up catholic. i then went atheist for a period before returning to Christianity. i tried various form of it before i moved on to other ideas. ive looked in to Islam, fallowed by Wicca, then druidism, next was kabbalah, then ritual magic and finally i finished with Judaism. after than long trek i found Judaism to be the closest to what i can relate to but still not close enough.

currently i am finished being agnostic (seems best thus far) and am looking in to traditional witchcraft and may try voodoo. but with my tract record thus far iam guessing neither works for me. for being 24 iam so damn lost lol.

the way iam seeing it is either i fulfill this need or i get rid of the need period. before i do get rid of it i would like some input from other people. what are your experiences with Spirituality? how did you find your beliefs and knew they were right for you?

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I didn't have much of a 'journey' really.
    As a child, my mom told me that when I'm older, I could believe in whatever I liked. She personally believed in God- she taught me about God and taught me that lots of people all around the world believe in different things.
    She said that as long as you are a good person and try to be the best person you can be; even if you make mistakes- there will only be good things for you when you die.

In elementary school, I didn't even think about it at all.
    No one talked about religion, really- except for the extreme devout Christians who lived in town... but there weren't really many of them.

In grade 8, I worked at a videostore. One of my co-workers was a very relaxed, cool, friendly man who cared about the environment and was overall-- a good, honest person. I looked up to him.
    One day we started to talk a bit about his beliefs.
    He was Buddhist - I looked into it and by my last year of highschool, I decided that it didn't really matter what 'religion' I was, because I didn't need to label my own beliefs.
    I am who I am. I strive to be a good person.

If I must be labeled - which alot of people prefer to do; and will ask me "what religion are you?" I will say Buddhist. Although I am not strict to Buddhist teachings and I don't strive for enlightenment as much as I probably should.
    That's all. That's what matters in life, I think.

3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I don't think that religions and spirituality have to be one in the same really.

Why not stop looking for a religion for guidance of what to believe and how to act etc etc....and just be, as you are.

I'd prefer not to talk about my myself on this issue, so please don't ask what i believe in.

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've believed in God since I was little. I saw him as a distant being and thought of myself as a nothing. In my 30s I heard someone say that Abraham was a friend of God and immediately my inner child said, "I wanna be a friend of God." Then I shrinked away from that thought because I'm just a human.

The desire was still strong so I prayed to God asking him if this is possible. I have since drawn very close to God. I talk to him in prayer and listen to him by reading the Bible. I start my day in prayer, inviting God into my life at the start of the day. I read something from the Bible each morning.

Many people end their day wondering why God doesn't help them. Well, they need to start the day off with God from the start each day so they are connected to him as the day progresses and when things happen.

If you don't go to God with the small things, how can you go to him with the big things?

I go to church but I don't follow any man, woman, or child. Anything I hear, I don't blindly accept. I ask God in prayer if something is true or not.

I'm starting to ramble my thoughts and beliefs so I'll close with it is possible to draw close to God. There is no greater spirituality in my opinion.

:smile:

5. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

1. religion gives me a starting point. i tend to do quite poorly when i try to figure things out my self. that is why i need guidance. one of the reasons i have looked at so many religions is because they all have aspects i like but eventually dislike the rest of the religion. the 3 main monotheistic religions all have a tendency to be fanatical, closed minded and even vicious to the factions with in their own faith. most of the occult and pagan things ive looked in to seem to be way to happy, fluffy and sticky sweet. all of which are offensive to me when i know the world is a cold harsh place and if need be free to smack other people. Wicca from what ive seen is notorious for "dont harm others no matter what!"

2. religion is the main way we find spirituality, that's why iam trying to use it. from my experience christens who claim to be spiritual but not religious tend to be nicer than the religious christens that always go to church and claim to always be doing gods work!

i have looked in to satanism and i do agree with the basic beliefs of the faith. most of their views work with mine but again most of the ones ive met are arrogant pain in the asses. thus i wish to smack them.

now if i do as you say and just be my self then i will have more reasons to kill my self. i dont like most aspects of me and just hate who i am. i hate my body but accept it will never change due to genetic issues. as for my mind, i still have a lot of work to do before i get to where i need it to be. first off i have a very violent and viscous mind and often want to kill other people and in most cases its not justified. i also have to break my habit of procrastination and be more social. i also have to learn the idea of being nonjudgmental. being a judgmental dick has gotten me in a lot of trouble and screwed me over on may opportunity.

IN SHORT BEING ME IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR THIS LIFE. i must adapt to being stronger, faster and smarter.

6. Astronaut

Astronaut Member

in my search for spirituality, I found a reasonable explination as to why life exisists, and that is because

1. the universe is trying to study itself through the eyes of creatures who can abstract think, like us

2. You know that rule about possible parralel outcomes/universes/endings? maybe the universe will not stop recreating life until all these possible outcomes are exauhsted.

It sounds a little odd, but this theory sounds pretty reasonable to me. Ya just have to think of the universe as a living thing I suppose.

7. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I think my feelings regarding this are that, there are two concepts that often are confused here. One is faith and the other is religion. Faith is a belief system using either a higher power, a set of rules, or both. Religion is the organisation of faith for other motives, I believe in God in a Christian context, but I take the Bible with something of a pinch of salt as it was written by monks around the 6th century AD, thus it would have their cultural influence.

I think that if God is a higher being, then surely he/she/they/it/other/blank, can judge people on a person-by-person basis rather than by what headwear they wore or by what meats they did or did not eat.

Above all I believe God is forgiving, and has a sense of humour. I am in no sense a born again Christian, whatever that means. I think my thoughts on spirituality are best summed up by the following quote from one of Terry Pratchett's novels:

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it"

God may be real, God may be a social reflex, but God is conscience - whatever you take that to mean.

Just my two cents.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I have an intense craving for spiritual fulfillment, a belief in something greater than me, in something fair, and something that exceeds the material world. Unfortunately, I have no means of attaining it. Buddhism jives well with who I am and a few times I tried to take up the lifestyle in the hope that the faith would follow, but ultimately my cold, calculating engineerism tells me we're alone, there's no justice, and there's nothing after death. :\

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it comes naturally to me as i've been told many times! "strong spirit," "free spirit", "very connected to my spirit," although none of it sank in until recently. talking to my mother is frustrating stuff though. she is incredibly lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010