• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Spite

extraterrestrialone

untwisting the pretzel
SF Supporter
I could use some advice. This word spite crosses my mind and I don't understand it. Here's a definition: a desire to hurt, annoy, or offend someone. Yeah... Somehow it's empty words. My parents always used to tell my "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" does that mean anything at all? Spite... to offend someone? then in the case of self spite, who is that someone? would that be me? Fucking why..... ??????????????????????????????

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Yeah. . . I don’t know if I have a very good way of explaining it either (which probably means I don’t understand it much myself), but when I once fell out with about as good a friend as I’ve ever had: she kept some of my most prized possessions; not because she wanted to keep, or necessarily liked them. . . (but as another very close & good friend told me, “Out-of-SPITE!” — is why she was going that to you. . .)_! ;^)

Wispiwill

Spite is to deliberately wish to hurt or harm someone. It's a bit like anger in that way. The phrase you're referencing - 'don't cut off your nose to spite your face' is saying that you shouldn't do anything that will cause harm to yourself in order to cause harm to another. Basically - think about all the consequences and ramifications of an anger.

e.g. Don't deliberately slap your boss because they keep picking on you to do the horrible jobs. They might deserve it but it won't exactly help your situation (or your career).

Hope that helps.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00