St John's Wort

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by eyae, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyae

eyae Member

Has anybody taken the herb/supplement "St John's Wort"?
    It's supposedly good for depression. I've seen it at my local pharmacy. I'm wondering if anybody had experience with it and if they'd recommend it?

Many Thanks

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

with supplements yu have to be very careful okay h un of the side effects as well. Talk with your doctor who can tell you how effective this may be or better yet the pharmacist can give you some feed back I myself did not find it worked but i have a depression that just does not want to seem to go away hugs to you

3. eyae

eyae Member

I originally read about it in a book about PCOS and the authors suggest it's safe. But they didn't go into specifics. I feel some kind of way about asking the pharmacist & doctor. I get very stressed talking to medical staff in general. I'd like answers without the moralising, pity looks and increased scrutiny. :(

4. ash_wanderer

ash_wanderer Member

I have been taking it for about 5 months on a regular basis. I have found that straight st john's wort doesn't help me much, but there is a vitamin variation called positive thoughts that helps me. I take that with GABA every day 3x a day. However, it only helps me on my mild depression days. My therapist wants to put me on regular meds because the st john's wort isn't helping enough. I think it really depends on the person and severity of depression.

5. oval

oval Well-Known Member

ive taken st john's wort and for me it made things worse rathen than better. my therapist recommended it for my mood swings since i didnt want to be put on meds but i felt like straight ass. it made me feel 10 times worse. also i havent really heard anything good from anyone else about st john's wort either.

6. Tough times

Tough times Member

I think the best natural supplement/remedy to take are the Bach remedies. They are FDA approved, they don't have any side effects and do not interfer with anything else you might take. They are derived from flowers and have been around for 50 years. Google them (Dr Bach). When you are feeling particularly anxious there is Resue Remedy... a couple of drops under your tongue and you feel better within the hour. There is also a sleep remedy and you can even take it in the middle of the night and not be groggy in the morning. There are 38 remedies in all and you can take up to six or seven at once depending on your needs. You may stop and start them anytime and there are no withdrawals.

7. eyae

eyae Member

Thank you all for your feedback. I'm. It sure I'll try St john's wort at this point in time I'll wait to do some more health checks. Looks like it's marginally helpful. Thanks Tough Time for the suggestion, I never heard of Dr Bach. It I'll research it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.