St. Patricks Day parade

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ZombiePringle, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

My fiance wants me to go to the parade but with my social anxiety, the fact that I have no anxiety meds and the fact that there will be a very big crowd since its one of the biggest St. Patricks day parades in the country... I just know I would end up having a severe panic attack. Should I risk it and go or just tell her I'm not going? I really don't feel comfortable in social situations.

2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

have you told her your concerns?

if not, you really need to

this woman wants to be part of your family and needs to know about these problems now so that she can help support you

my gut feeling here is that you sound like you will most likely have a panic attack - crowds around parades are crazy - i would stay home but you have to tell her why

3. ZombiePringle

Yeah she knows about my panic issues. Sometimes she just tends to not think about it since she knows there are times (although rare) that I'm able to put up with crowds of people. Thats why when we do our grocery shopping we try to go when we think there will be less people so I don't have panic attacks. so yeah she knows all about my anxiety.

4. Wastingecho

that's good

is there a chance that you can get more meds in time for the parade?

or maybe the 2 of you can come up with a fall-back plan if you go to the parade and things get tense

two days ago i went out for breakfast with my wife and sis-in-law to a diner that was oddly crowded for a tuesday - just the sound of all those conversations began to overwhelm me

what do you think is more likely to cause you a problem - the presence of the crowd itself or the noise?

5. ZombiePringle

Mainly just the crowd will get to me. I have no way of getting meds since my doctor has basically been extremely unhelpful. I have no psych doctor and one of the other doctors that work with my doctor had told me that my current doctor would help me find a new psych doctor and so far he hasn't and he refuses to prescribe me anxiety meds. All he did is change my anti-depressant when I told him my anxiety issues were getting worse. I likely just won't go. maybe enjoy the time alone without my fiance or kid.

6. Wastingecho

that seems like the smart thing to do

if you can handle lesser crowds, maybe you can come up with some kind of alternate activity - go out for lunch or something

7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

ahh >< it's really frustrating when your partner doesn't understand social anxiety issues... my ex never understood mine at all.
    It's normal for her to not quite get it- unless she's experienced high stress in crowds, I think.

I don't really have much advice; though I do sympathize with you.

...do you drink occasionally? Today is a day to drink-- if you're drunk maybe you won't panic at the parade? XD
    not the worst idea... but honestly a terrible idea either way. >< sorry!

8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

ahn... I was kidding, by the way. I don't mean to offend anyone, if I dooo!

9. ZombiePringle

Actually getting drunk in those situations does help me so it was a good idea. Only thing is I have to be to work in less than 7 hours. I might drink a single beer in honor of st. Patricks day but that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.