Standard treatments aren't helping--what now?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Silverpuddle, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

I'm on something like my 11th medication cocktail, and I'm doing everything my psychologist and psychiatrist tell me to do. Unfortunately, I still want to die.

I don't want to feel like this, and would choose another option if I could find one. For the record, I have about 30 years' experience being depressive, and am getting good care & making the best use of it I can.

The only traditional option left that I haven't tried is ECT. I've been worried about memory loss and brain damage, but I'm starting not to care. I'll mention it next time I see my doctor . . . if nothing else, I seriously need some hope for a cure, ASAP.

If ECT doesn't work either, Lord knows what I'll do. Sitting around and waiting for the pharmaceutical companies to invent the Magic Bullet Drug isn't cutting it.

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

have you read about mary ellen copeland's wrap program? google it and a bunch of stuff will turn up. some of the things she recommends, in addition to the traditional stuff, are limiting your exposure to chemicals, a sun lamp, and good diet and nutrition. have you had a thorough physical including having your thyroid checked? took me a long time to find the right meds, too. even better than meds in my book was a good trauma therapist. she has made a real difference for me. good luck and don't give up now.

3. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

Thanks for the suggestions . . . I'll look into them. I actually just got a full-spectrum light today, and it seems to help. Usually I get more depressed as the sun goes down, but I'm okay at the moment.

I'm praying this "sticks."

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What's your diagnosis? Have others been explored?

My mom has been given antidepressants in many varieties since Prozac came on the market... This year she finally discovered she has bipolar and now treatment is working.

A common one would be bipolar vs depression... If you have dozens and dozens of depressed phases basically making you depressed for decades and a SINGLE manic phase, you'll be better treated by bipolar drugs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  5. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Yup, basically what Steffen said, treatment resistant depression can often raise the question of diagnosis.

I'd perhaps get a fresh pair of eyes look at your case.

6. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

yeah, hope you find something that helps.

I have a friend who got ect and she said it was good.

I've heard about memory loss with ect, but not brain damage. I think that the kind of ect that you get now-a-days is milder.

I also saw something on tv that said good things about ect.

Also, at nearly every opportunity, I tell people about acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine, and the book below in my signature.

getting regular, gentle aerobic exercise can help too.

7. Ms. Nobody

Ms. Nobody Member

Like others have said, you might be bi-polar. I am and consequently antidepressants don't work for me. I'm not on anything now. I get depressed and lay around the house for a few days then I'll try and get myself out and do something besides just going to work and I usually feel better for a while.

I've learned that it just comes and goes and just try to hang on until my next up-swing. Not exactly sure if you're experiencing a similar situation or not but don't give up. If medication doesn't work for you keep trying until you find relief in something else. I don't know if looking for a definitive "cure" is the right way to approach this but there are small things you can do everyday to make yourself feel better: healthy food, fresh air, exercise, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.