Started Smoking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hazibell, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazibell

Hazibell Well-Known Member

Have tried it before and stuff.
    But things have got to me a lot lately, annnd I considered it better than s/hing again.
    Plus it may make me lose some weight.

I know it'll take 10 years off my life and things.
    But I've figured...all my friends and people I care one...are adults and older than me. So basically I'm going to be practically alone if anything ever happened to them. :(
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

To each their own.
    It won't necessarily take 10 years off your life. Smokers can live a really long time. Part of it depends on how much you smoke I guess. Smoking occasionally or even a few times a week I don't think is that bad. And I think it's more mentally addictive than physically addictive; at least that's what I've heard from people trying to quit.
    Do whatever you think is best for you though :hug:
  3. Hazibell

All the people I care about
    All the people I love and have in my life,
    Which isn't many, but a few, all of them smoke
    I'm going to lose them all sooner than I should :(
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

You dont want to get addicted... beleive me... it brings you more problems than good things...
  5. Crying All Time

Crying All Time Well-Known Member

Don't start smoking. I started and now I can't stop. It's very addictive
  6. Twitch-J

Twitch-J Guest

not sure what to say. smoking isn't good for you. can lead to other problem and such.

guess im really not the right person to be saying this though. i too do the same. i dont smoke regularly but evertime something happens i get that urge. I used to smoke when i fight with my fiancee. She hates it when i smoke and made me promiss i wouldn't.. Now i do dip cause she can tell when i do.
    It helps me chill out. But either way its bad for me. I know this and yet i still do it.
  7. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Smoking cigarettes is never good. I had to watch my dad die from cancer in which smoking was a contributery factor. Stop now while you can and find something else you enjoy doing that won't damage your body.

If you want to lose some weight try going for walks, walking is the best form of exercise and while your walking you notice things that you would not if you were in a car. Do some looking around on the internet for some healthy foods you could try making, growing etc. This will be way better for your body. Being a healthy weight comes with being a healthy body, and smoking will NOT give you one of those. It will lead to lung problems, throat problems, you won't be able to enjoy the taste of foods anymore, you'll wake up in the morning with a hacking cough and get out of breath much quicker and ultimatly you could get cancer, it'll just suck.
  8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

You are so right TinWoman. You have to do everything that you possibly can to live a healthy life and that includes eating healthy, getting exercise and not smoking. Smoking only leads to health problems. My sister recently started smoking and now is coughing all the time. I've tried many times to tell her to stop but she just cusses me up, so I've pretty much given up on trying. Lung cancer and emphysema are two awful conditions that smoking causes. Please give up smoking Hazibel. :hug:
  9. Hazibell

Thanks for replies and everything. Only just checked this thread again. Y'know Twitch-J, I do the same thing. I mean I started. Now haven't had one for about a week or somethingg, but will occasionally think 'oh yea i feel like it now', so I don't think I'm actually that addicted. :/ Odd.
  10. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Well there are worse addictions than smoking. The advantage of long term smoking is that it gives one a deeper tone of voice. The disadvantages are the astronomical prices, shortness of breath, premature lines, and increased dental bills. There's a war on smokers, which makes me contemplate that there is some benefit to them. As they say, everything in moderation! Which is easier said than done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  11. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

Well i don't think it is necessarily deeper tone of voice. Every day when i go to work more then 50% of the women there smoke or used to smoke (there are about 20-30 females and 4-5 of us males hehe). One in particular does catch my attention. When she starts coughing it takes a minute for her to stop. I'm always wondering bout the time when she'll look in her palm and see a chunk of her lung because that's how it sounds haha. Anyway as for thread starter, i for one have been exposed to smoke most of my life, i never liked it i never will. I hate it so much that many times did i fight with my dad to stop smoking in the house and i don't even go into bars/pubs that don't have smoke-free areas (haven't been in a club in over 2 years now because of it as well). It's kind of sad that i can't go any more, but i got used to it. I guess on the other side i get to sleep well at nights, i can smell (which was proven that you can regain it once you give up smoking from a friend of mine) and i still can find areas with nice clear air to fill my lungs and clear my mind :D (just came from the countryside just now and last week went on a trip to the mountainside, now THAT was fresh:D). Anyway i won't be on for a couple more days still so have fun, enjoy life and stay safe. Bye!
  12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I just quit smoking about a week ago (hopefully for good this time) after smoking pretty heavy for the better part of 15 years.

For those of you who are smoking, I just have to say this. I understand how hard it is to quit and I understand all the reasons why people keep smoking even when they really want to quit. I've been there for years and I finally built up the courage to stop. It's still painful to think about not being able to have a cigarette but it's getting easier.

If you haven't been smoking long, believe me, you probably have no idea what you're getting yourself into. When they tell you that you might have shortness of breath, they probably don't tell you that if you smoke for long enough, you'll have shortness of breath just from standing up and walking across the room.

I can't tell anyone what to do and I know I didn't quit until I was ready to. But I wish I'd listened all those years ago when people told me never to start.

The truth is that smoking will not do anything for you. It doesn't relax you. It makes you more tense, anxious and irritable and then you have to start feeding your addiction to calm down. It MIGHT NOT kill you but it sure won't do anything for your health. Unless you're one of the lucky few who can smoke one or two a day, you WILL get addicted and you WILL smoke more and more. And then when you want to stop, you won't be able to unless you have very strong willpower. You will stop living and start existing to satisfy your cravings for smoking. It's pathetic. I hated myself for not being able to do it and at the same time, I was sitting there puffing away. I couldn't enjoy doing anything because all I could think about was getting my next cigarette. I DID enjoy my cigarettes but I hated everything else. And the truth is, smoking them affected my health to such a degree that I felt like shit all the time. I finally had to make myself quit because I felt like they were suffocating the life out of me.

If you are reading this and you haven't really gotten addicted yet, just don't let it happen. Ask anyone who's been smoking for a long time and they'll tell you the same thing if they're being honest. You might hear about a man who smoked for 60 years and died of natural causes. Well, that might be but you usually hear about those cases because it's the exception to the general rule that smoking will ruin whatever good there is in your life. Even if you think you don't have anything to lose. I thought that years ago. I was wrong. Don't wait 15 years to find out how wrong you were.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.