Starting a new life

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shogun, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I need some intelligent input from people that are knowledgeable on this subject, but all input is welcome.

I'm 28 next month and I have been jobless due to depression and appearance related issues for about 7 or 8 years. I'm by no means lazy, I would love a normal job and life of my own, but I have so many hang ups that it is literally impossible.

One of my biggest hang ups has been my weight, I've always been very underweight for my height and it has prevented me from going outside without lots of layers of clothing on to make me look bigger (even in the blazing heat of summertime.) But about 4 months ago (after a recommendation from an online friend) I saw the doctor and asked to be put on Mirtazapine (Remeron.) If anyone knows about this anti-depressant pill, one of the side effects of it is weight gain. And since I've been on it I've gained about 2 and half stone (about 35 pounds, I think.) I've been working out a lot with it too and I think I feel comfident enough to maybe go out and finally start living life.

Point of this thread

My CV (Resume) is gonna look absolutely pathetic! I have literally done nothing for 7 or 8 years. But I was speaking to a friend who is starting a new college course soon.... a 2 year course on plumbing. Now plumbing isn't necessarily my sorta thing, but tiling, plastering or bricklaying do interest me. It's around 700 squid (which I just about have) for a 2 year course and if you pass (which should be easy for me,) you have the qualifications to get any job in said industry.... but what if your CV up until that point is pretty much a blank? And also, I cannot drive, will that prevent me getting these kind of jobs?

I have the money to start a course and maybe pay for the travel to get to and from the college if I remain on sickness benefits, but not to buy a car and learn to drive as well. Why does succeeding in life have to be so hard??

Anyway, am I just living in fantasy land? Or is this actually possible to achieve in my current situation?
  2. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

first off, good to hear that you're making some sort of progress. I do, or at least I used to know someone who is a plumber, I may be able to get hold of him during the Christmas period when I visit my hometown, if you want I can ask him for some advice, just let me know.

If you're in London it might not be quite so important if you don't drive - driving in London takes ages anyway and you can get to plenty of places by tube/train. But having said that you may need your own vehicle to carry tools and stuff around in.

I hope something works out for you.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'd like and appreciate that. Could you get back to me here or PM me when you've asked him please?

I was thinking that too, but tube is so expensive these days. I'm so stuck, but thanx for your reply, it's greatly appreciated. :)
  4. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

yeah fine, send me a PM to remind me if I haven't got back to you by around the 29th just so I don't forget.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.