Starting antidepressants this week.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I am starting antidepressants this week, at least that is if I can get the courage to do so. What can I expect? Does antidepressants help you think "clearer", and not have all the negative thoughts that I have going on in my head now. Honestly I am just scared, but the only time I feel good is on Mondays, because I take a few pain pills. I know it is WRONG for me to do so, but I have to have at least one day out of the week where I feel okay.

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Make sure you get all the info. you can on them. From the doctor, internet, insert, and us. I've tried several. Many of them are very tough to get through the first few weeks and I suffered from almost all of the side-effects.
    Some only suffer from a few and some don't feel any. my brother just tried zoloft and after just a few days of uncomfortable side effects, he is a changed person, happier than I've ever seen him. I hope you are one of those that get the full effect of the happy feelings that can ensue.

3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Antidepressants cannot heal a soul, but they make you feel better.
    Remember that any medication is not for everyone. Yoy may find the right medicine immediately (the first try) or it may take months of trying with many different medicines. There are ~15 different antidepressants out there, so don't give up if the first brand isn't the right for you.
    Good luck! Zoloft has helped me.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

yep the first two weeks can be hard but if you stick with it medication can help i hope it helps for you You won't know unless you try right take care

5. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

It's a bit of trial and error. You'll find that some work better than others. Of course it's different for different people. I've been on Citalopram for about a month and a half now. For me personally, I don't feel any different, but I hope you find one that's effective for you. Bear in mind though, there's no 'magic pill' that can just cure depression just like that.....hell, if there was, half of us wouldn't even be here. They may help subside a few of the negative thoughts though. Best of luck.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Anti-depressants didn't work for me but they work for a lot of other people. The experiences can differ greatly. Glad you're keeping an open mind and trying it though. Nothing to lose. If things get worse, tell your doc immidiately. But chances are you'll either start to feel a boost in mood or nothing will change and they'll try you on something else. It's rare that you'd feel worse on them although that can happen.
    Best of luck
    :wub:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.