Starting therapy tommorrow - nervous.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi all, I am starting psychotherapy tomorrow with a new therapist (male) that does cbt amongst other things. It is private (he's doing a deal with me 'cos im on disabilitiy, yay). I am quite nervous. I told him my history and he still wants and think he came help me, I am excited, this could be the end to my anxiety, that's what I am hoping for, any tips guys? If you're reading this please wish me luck.
    Unknown_111, moxman and IamTetsuo like this.
  2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Good luck. And as you always tell me, be honest. Remember he wants to help you.
    Petal likes this.
  3. na-taya

na-taya Well-Known Member

Good luck sweet pea, I hope it goes well for you xxx
    Petal likes this.
  4. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Best of luck Petal, I hope it goes really well and you can find a way to deal with your anxiety. This guy sounds genuine and he believes he can help you, so what do you have to lose?
    Petal likes this.
  5. Petal

Absolutely nothing :) Only gain. Gain confidence, self esteem, a ''normal'' way of life, I hope =)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes x
  6. moxman

moxman Rosie a silly girl, pretending to be serious Forum Pro

Wishing you the best, you deserve it
  7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Hoping its going well for you so far. GL
  8. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Pets, I wish you the best and take care.
  9. Petal

Awww thanks for the well wushes, how thoughtful. I have had 2 session with him so far. He is an amazing therapist. We really clicked and hit it off from the beginning, I am so glad I reached out to him, he is the perfect person to treat me. Really looking forward to our next session on Tuesday =)
    Frances M and Northern like this.
  10. SA76

SA76 Member

Thats great petal. Its good to have someone who you click with. Have you had a male therapist before?
    Petal likes this.
  11. Petal

Thank you :) I have had male psychiatrists before but not therapists. It is great when you click with someone, I agree :) There's a bond growing slowly but surely.
  12. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

That's great. I never clicked with any of my traditional therapists. I did click with one who did alternative treatments like reiki and deep tissue massage. She had her degree in psychology and she combined her spirituality with the traditional talk therapy. It worked so well for me, I saw her for nearly 2 years. But sadly she moved to Europe and I never found another therapist after that! Self-therapy works for me these days. I'm glad you found someone you can trust.
  13. Petal

The alternative treatments sound awesome. Maybe it is time for you to start looking for a new therapist? Maybe you can even find one like your old one? Google whst is in your area, that's what I did and see what's on offer, e-mail and discuss how you feel before meeting :)
  14. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I would love to Petal, but I can't afford it anymore. I'm on disability through workman's comp and when they made the decision to put me on permanent indemnities, the stopped paying for therapy. They also won't pay for even a portion of it. I can't complain because I have an income until retirement and they'll pay for pharmaceuticals. I really wish I had a little extra money for it!

But I do some home-study workshops I've found on a good site, they're only $10 each and so far the first one is helping me!
  15. Petal

I will just tell you what I did 2 weeks ago when searching for a new therapist as it might help you. I looked up the list of counsellors in my area, e-mailed approx 20 of them explained my situation(how messed up I am lol and the past) and fears and told them all that I could not afford to pay their full rate which were around 50-90 per session so one messaged me back (one who I believe is not in it for the money) and told me he will give me a reduced rate of 30 euros each for 6 sessions because im on disability and I am so grateful to him. It's worked out way better than I expected. He soothed my fears, lets me smoke my e-cig in session ;) haha and really listens and cares. Maybe try what I did because therapy is a great starting point for your recovery and I wish you all the best :)

I am really glad the home study work shops are helping you, may I ask what do they involve?
  16. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Honestly, I would do that but I have another issue. I live in a French province and since I stopped working, my French really sucks and where I live, the English are not welcomed very well. I had a doctor at a hospital actually have the nerve to say to me "en francais s'il te plait" (in French please) when I told her my issue in English. Doctors here have to be bilingual but politics always get in the way. In a few years when I can pay back my debt, I'm moving to an English province. So the self-therapy is all I'm willing to do I suppose. I can't handle the language issues here anymore!

The workshops are usually between 8-14 weeks long. They are specific to your need. The one I'm taking is called "Get A Grip On Emotional Abuse". It's spiritually based so it's not for everyone. Not Christian but more eclectic and new age. But everything she says and writes can be related to any belief really. The one I'm taking has a text to read with suggestions on what to remember and apply to your life. It also has one or two meditations to listen to for reinforcement, so to speak. I have lesson 6 to do today.
    Petal likes this.
  17. Petal

That sucks about the language barrier issue. I wish you the best with the home workshop :) You deserve to get better and deserve not to be in an abusive environment, you might not have had a choice in it when you were little but you certainly do now :) Think on that hun.
  18. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I know, it was hard to admit that I allowed the same thing to happen. I know I'm in control of this, I'm just biding my time :)