Starting to really hate my job, working in general

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by SoleSpider, Dec 15, 2014.

1. SoleSpider

SoleSpider Member

I'm a functioning depressed person, nobody could probably easily tell it's something I deal with. I'm also reasonably successful at work. I work in technology and this year managed to get a fairly high level position which takes me away from the core of what I enjoy doing and piled on a lot more work of the kind of things I hate. I can admit that I tolerate all this for the money. Other things in life I enjoy doing have never paid me any reasonable wage. I've tried many times but what I do currently is something I am very good at and pays me well.

It's not like slavery or torture but it is very soul-sucking and mentally draining. When I get home I don't have the mental energy to do anything which makes my lonely situation that mush more depressing.

Perhaps most people feel this way about their jobs but when I have to feel like I'm forcing myself and the only thing outside of work that waits for me is more loneliness and more depression.

If I hate it so much why did I take it on? Because I've felt like for years I've been on a rut with work and watch other people experience successful moves upwards while I toil away without recognition. I made a determination that I would find a way to achieving that same move upward. Maybe if I had a family waiting at home I would love every challenging minute of my job but without any kind of life outside of work it just seems like a necessary turmoil I have to go through so that I can cushion my misery with a decent place to live, good food, convenience toys, no money worries.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you cannot go back to a job that brings you enjoyment then find enjoyment elsewhere ok. Find a hobbie do something outside your work that will bring that joy to you that you once had. What is it in life that will bring you joy an activity sports an interest something to look forward to that will break up this stress you feel.

If not then if you can live without the extra outcome then go back to the job you enjoyed live the life that you feel will not drain your soul

3. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

When it comes to jobs--& of course promotions--sometimes the benefits (monetary or otherwise: the credit; reputation, etc.) don't outweight the drawbacks. If the risk is not worth the reward, then I say find something else as well: even if it means asking for your former position back. Money isn't everything. And with a job that delivers so much distress, and headache, perhaps it's costing you more in terms of health than you are already aware. I find myself in similar shoes (though on a much lesser scale with respect to occupational significance). I was encouraged to apply for an open managerial spot, and now might be asked to take on the role of supervisor. Neither one of those overly appeal to me, given the factors previously detailed above. But good luck with whatever you decide to do...

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Is a very common position to find ones self in actually. While it is very easy to to look at the higher paying jobs in any field and make claims of how ridiculous it is they get paid more and seemingly "do less" , I can say from experience that high end business job with 6 figure salary comes at an extreme personal cost.

I truly believe the trick to a successful life is weighing out what things make you happiest and what you are willing to pay for those things. Sometimes you sell your soul for a few years to set yourself in a position financially to do other things you want to do. For others , it is not worth it at all , and I am sure for some all they want from life is the money and title. None are wrong, but it is good to understand that the "lucky people" with big salaries and titles are sometimes not so lucky after all. It makes it a lot easier when you decide to do something that means more to you on a personal level to understand the reason the pay is different.

Take your time to decide if what you can do with the extra money now or in the future is worth it and then make the choice that fits you to make you happiest.