Starvation Mode

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by KatVonLee, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatVonLee

KatVonLee Account Closed

Hello, Me and my Fiancée live a very busy lifestyle, both working full time jobs and different times to each other. In the last year we managed to slip ourselves within a diet consisting of under 1000 calories a day. We are trying to get into a routine of real meals. Upping our calories. The problem is we are gaining weight as we do. I have been told this is to be expected, that until our bodies get out of the starvation mode it will store the food as if it was. I feel bloated, fat, i have put on almost 4 stone within a few months, even before we started upping our calories. I had muscle and am 5"8 weighing 11 stone, now i weigh just over 15 stone!!! I am disgusted at my own body.
    Has anyone else been through this?? I have a few questions to put my mind at ease.

1. How long till we get out of starvation mode?
    2. How should we proceed to upping our calories?
    3. How long till we see weight loss?
    4. Any tips?
    5. How did you manage?

Any and all information would be a blessing! We have only been told to up our calories by the doctors to get out of this damn starvation mode but do not know the way to go about it and what to expect!

Thankyou in advance for any and all help!
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi you need to talk to a dietitian and get on a proper diet that not only will help you lose weight but help you also to keep that weight at a healthy level Talk to a dietitian okay get your doctor to refer you to one hugs
  3. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

what are stones?

Anyways, I shed 15 pounds last month just eating one good lunch a day, maybe one banana for breakfast, very very light stir fry dinner. I take multi vitamins too. I do not drink soft drinks/energy. I drink coffee though. I do not eat sweets. This works for me and I plan to live like this for the rest of my life.
  4. Chocolate Heartache

Chocolate Heartache Active Member

A stone is 14lb.

Starvation mode is difficult even for most doctors to understand, and difficult to predict when someone's metabolism will slow, and how to boost it. It may be better to see a dietician rather than just your GP, they have more qualification and more experience with this stuff.

The key, which is difficult with a busy lifestyle, is regular and balanced meals, with lots of protein and lots of complex carbohydrates. If you're increasing your calorie intake by increasing the fat and sugar content of the meals you were already eating - which is easily done - your body won't be able to reliably increase your metabolism, whereas if you manage four or even more balanced meals with protein and complex carbs, the release of energy through the day is more constant, and your body can use it better.

I may not be the best woman to give health advice though, a bit like asking a junkie for advice on quitting drug use!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.