Staying Motivated: Section One

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I can't think of a simple way off the top of my head. You could create a spreadsheet, database, or document where you record finished goals. You could make creating such a record one of your goals.
I also like this idea of tracking goals as seems so easy to remember/reflect on failures rather than on positive steps/actions...

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Oh my goodness, that movie was AMAZING, I really LOVED it. So much that I just picked up my phone and made an appointment with my ex-therapist who was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this motivation and trust me, it has motivated me. I am sure it has helped others who listened to it too, that guy is a genius, bless him!

Thanks soooo much :)

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I really like the 3 goals a day idea. If you are like me and on the computer 24/7 you could put sticky notes on your desktop and type your 3 goals for the day. That way you will be reminded about your 3 goals throughout the day.
That is an excellent idea. I'm going to write those notes right now on my sticky notes :)

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
That is a great idea to write sticky notes on desktop (being technologically challenged will do so once I figure out how...lol)... as thinking will write 3 daily goals, also try to come up with 3 things that I think I should be learning from my current situation (that one's a bit harder to do...and will give myself a couple of weeks to come up...but will give it a try) and finally 1 thing that i am grateful for each day. The hardest part is keeping it up...so much like New Year's resolutions where have all kinds of positive energy...then slowly gradually find myself drifting away from keeping it up. But thanks to this forum believe/know will keep me motivated to continue despite myself.

BarryW

SF Supporter
The parts in the video that stood out the most to me were:
- don't be so focused on people trying to keep you down / mess with you
- be grateful
- something else i forgot after reading all the responses

I don't have a plan in mind of how to improve on these things but perhaps magically my brain will figure it out now that the idea is there. I already have some wall art with the theme of the first one but I guess I haven't channeled it lately.

Phoenix, you were asking about how to keep sticky notes that you completed. At one company I worked for, we used the 'kanban' tracking method. Basically we had a bulletin board with a few sections for different categories of tasks. And one section for 'completed'. Anybody could throw a sticky note onto the board and anybody could go grab one when they needed to kill some time on minor tasks. After it was done they put the sticky note in completed. This way you end up with a big pile of completeds (hopefully) ! We had a lot of fun with it.

When I actually have goals they are super huge and I have periods of being motivated by them or being depressed at how impossible they seem. Maybe I need to break the big goal into smaller chunks... not reducing the size of the goal but making it seem more attainable.

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
The parts in the video that stood out the most to me were:
- don't be so focused on people trying to keep you down / mess with you
- be grateful
- something else i forgot after reading all the responses

I don't have a plan in mind of how to improve on these things but perhaps magically my brain will figure it out now that the idea is there. I already have some wall art with the theme of the first one but I guess I haven't channeled it lately.

Phoenix, you were asking about how to keep sticky notes that you completed. At one company I worked for, we used the 'kanban' tracking method. Basically we had a bulletin board with a few sections for different categories of tasks. And one section for 'completed'. Anybody could throw a sticky note onto the board and anybody could go grab one when they needed to kill some time on minor tasks. After it was done they put the sticky note in completed. This way you end up with a big pile of completeds (hopefully) ! We had a lot of fun with it.

When I actually have goals they are super huge and I have periods of being motivated by them or being depressed at how impossible they seem. Maybe I need to break the big goal into smaller chunks... not reducing the size of the goal but making it seem more attainable.
i really like that idea of the kanban method. and i really like that idea of taking a big goal and dividing it into smaller goals. that would make life easier.

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
i really like that idea of the kanban method. and i really like that idea of taking a big goal and dividing it into smaller goals. that would make life easier.
Yes, I agree as the big goal that I am trying to work towards can seem so overwhelming that I often find myself like a deer in headlights unable to move forward just frozen...so coming up with the small steps would I believe help me realize I am making progress perhaps not as fast as feel I should but i'm at least moving hopefully in the right direction.

PhoenixFailed

Survivor of 2016, Fighter in 2017
SF Supporter
Sorry for the wait @Sugarplum858. Thanks @JDot! I meant to get it up just as this one closed and got ill. On the mend and designing the next this weekend. Should be up by Tuesday in the USA. Sorry for the delay!

PhoenixFailed

Survivor of 2016, Fighter in 2017
SF Supporter
Just letting everyone who posted in this section that section 2 is up and ready.

I really appreciate all of your patience and support as I work through this first study. You all are the best!

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Welcome to the Guided Study forum! By the survey posted by NYJmpMaster, motivation was selected as the first topic. (Both ironic as I hit a big bump in the road in maintaining motivation as I began to research our study and helpful as I read about ways to help.)

How does this Guided Study work?
In the time window specified:
  • Read/view the selection(s)
  • Join in the discussion by posting on this thread.
What are the forum guidelines?
  • Judge favorably (give the benefit of the doubt to all who post)
  • Focus on discussion of ideas
  • Recognize the diversity of the forum in ages, diagnosis, experiences, treatments, place on individual journeys, (to name just a few)
Please know I am an internally focused perfectionist, but far, far from perfect. I tried to select materials that would be helpful and actionable. This meant placing aside virtual reams of materials that instruct us to simply “pull ourselves up by our bootstraps” (because sometimes I feel I not only don't seem to have bootstraps, I do not seem to have boots) or are so long, lofty and theoretical that one would need motivation to read the information about motivation. o_O I am aware of the variety of diagnoses here as well as the lack thereof. Some materials may seem to be aimed at a specific diagnosis, but are still shared in hope we can all benefit from the suggestions. Also, this is my first attempt at facilitating a self-guided online study when I do not know the people involved in real life, so know I am conscious of timing and selection of materials and will try my best to adjust as we move forward.

Suggestions about future materials or requests about better meeting your needs are best PMed to me as not to pull the the thread away from productive discussion for all.

So, if you have gotten through this long post, give yourself a pat on the back as you have persevered and maintained motivation to get to the first set of dates and materials! :D

Study Window for Section One: December 11th-December 27th

Materials:
You Tube Video:
Dealing with Difficult Times in Life (approximately 12 minutes)

Blog Post:
Tips for Finding Motivation When You Are Depressed
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/12/22/tips-for-finding-motivation-when-youre-depressed/
BUMPING up the video in this post as it's fricking awesome. Stay strong x

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00