Stephen Hawking: Heaven fairytale & Life after death invented by scared people

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoeu

I thought this guy was supposed to be a source of profound thought. Please get back to physics, this is unnecessary and well-trodden.

Mr Stewart

To be fair, it's not like he's trumpeting the god angle as forefront argument. He's doing a speech on M-theory. The question of god was asked, he simply answered in kind.

I thought this guy was supposed to be a source of profound thought. Please get back to physics, this is unnecessary and well-trodden.
Believe it or not, this is not very far off from physics. As harrachos stated, it was in response to a question. What's more, physicists routinely deal with what it means for space and time to exist (and one that has a beginning at that). There are many reasons not to believe in the existence of God, and Hawking is coming at it from a purely scientific standpoint: "Well, the concept isn't necessary, we're just making up a step to describe what we don't know." Whether or not you agree with his views, the fact is that science shows no reason for there to be either a God or an afterlife, and this is something I'm sure he's thought a lot about. Basically, logic and belief in God are deeply intertwined one way or another, so it's a natural side effect of his work.

Personally, I agree with him on both accounts.

aoeu

Okay, so he's not going out of his way to do this. That's a bit different than my initial thought... Still, there's no story in it.

Equivalent headline: "Physicist doesn't believe in God". Well, duh. It's not a story, it's a given.

Absolutely agree with him,only deluded and frightened people believe in god.Sorry if that offends anyone but it's the truth and you won't find many people of science that believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00