Steri-Strips vs. Stitches?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by forestmaiden, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forestmaiden

forestmaiden Member

Hey guys,

I had a horrible day today, and when I got home I cut badly, like the deepest cut I've ever made in my life. I could see muscle tissue, and I'm pretty sure it needs stitches. Anyways, I was bawling, and had other cuts around it, and I knew if I went to the hospital or clinic they would commit me (which is probably what I need right now anyways), so I didn't go. Instead I taped it together with steri-strips, and put gauze over that, once the bleeding stopped. Now whenever I move that muscle it hurts horribly and I'm getting pain running down my arm to the hand. I'm wondering a) if steri-strips will work in place of stitches, and b) what the pain could be, and should I actually attempt to see a doctor about it?

2. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

aaaaaabsolutely see a doctor, and soon!! if you have a deep tissue wound, then you run the risk of getting a deep tissue infection. amke up any excuse you need to, or go to a city clinic, but dont leave a wound that deep untreated. even if you cant, a few days in the psych ward wouold be nothing compared to what an infection can do to you. steri strips work well for shallow cuts, but cant hold the flesh still enough for deeper ones.

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

You should go to the doctor:hug:

4. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

you have damaged the muscle tissue and need to get it seen, steri strips wont do the job, you need stitches hun.

5. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

Please goto the docs.I have a similar injury right now,i also cut into my muscle and needed stitches inside and out,it will be painfull,very painfull if you dont get treatment also the risk of infection is very high.Dont be scared of the hospital,they are there to help.

6. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I would see a doctor. You don't have to tell them what happened.

You don't want permenant damage, get stiches just to be on the safe side :hug:

7. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

If it appears the cut was done along the vein or they feel you attempted to kill yourself they could admit you. I highly doubt they will, though. I've seen a doctor for cutting.

Was it just a horizontal cut?

8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I went without stitches in a deep cut that went through the skin and muscle - it took about three weeks to heal (no more fresh bleeding) and the scar is now really deep and purple - it doesn't help that the scar's on the crutch of my arm; it looks like intravenous needle marks :tongue:.

Infection is a high risk and if I could do it all over, I'd go to the doctor.

9. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

A doctor can't commit you and is required to just treat the injury which is at a high risk for infection and requires stitches to heal properly. I would advise going to see a doctor even though you don't want to. I have had to make a similar decision and in the end I was glad I did it. Thinking about going is worse than actually just going.

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Forestmaiden are you OK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.