Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Petal, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Who in gods name made up this statement?! They obviously did not suffer anxiety, drives me nuts to hear people saying it. Words HURT. Especially if you suffer from a mental disorder.

A song...will remind me of words that hurt.
    A book...will remind me of words that hurt.
    TV. will remind me of words that hurt.
    There are reminders all around me!!!

So....hmm not much thought put into this but it's so wrong.

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Exactly Petal

What with social media bullying words definately do hurt

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Words are worse weapons the pain linger for a life time

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

In some cases, instead of having to hear some of the things Ive heard people say, Id much rather they just walked up to me and punched me in the face because it would have hurt less.

5. Petal

Perfectly said and true. It really would hurt less if they physically hit you because the bad memory of their words is stuck in the mind and stays there :(

6. Punkmom111

Punkmom111 Member

I agree.
    Words used on me have been a lot more painful than physical abuse.
    And constant reminders of Idiocy and mistakes shoved in your face like a puppy's nose is rubbed in his piddle puddle..... Scars that last the longest are the scars hidden from the rest of the world.

7. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

My self-esteem was completely, forever destroyed by seven words that were said to me. I would give anything to have the power to turn back time and replace those words with seven sticks and stones. Then I might have had a chance.

For years I have been saying this is the most absurd phrase ever invented. Thanks for the validation, Petal!

8. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Wow. Silence. Again. Looks like I closed another thread. It's sort of the online equivalent of walking into a room and then seeing everybody else walk out. Nice feeling.

9. Petal

:hug: nah you didn't close down the thread hun, I did by not putting much thinking into the original post. :hug: to you, i would also take 7 sticks and stones over hurtful words...i hope you are doing okay my friend x

10. Anonymous00

Anonymous00 Well-Known Member

It should've been Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will scar you forever. I've never been physically abused, what destroyed me was what other people say mere words.

11. Petal

I am really sorry to hear that. Words do hurt immensely, stay there, scar you, linger,they are a bad memory. One you want to forget but cannot. If you ever need someone just post here or PM someone. :hug:

12. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

Wow! Great minds think alike! I was having the same dialouge with myself in the fraviourte quotes thread! Sticks and stomes may break my bones but words could probably kill me. Made more sense to me than the original. And i have been thinking of a new one. .. sticks and stones may break my bones but ignorance makes me kill me...

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Words really do hurt...people do and say hurtful things to me all the time, and they don't see the damage they do. In some ways I have become immune to it, but it still hurts.

14. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

To be totally fair the quote is not to say that words do not hurt - it is a reminder to people to not give them more power than they are entitled. As a reminder that they are only words and have no meaning to anybody other than the person that said them, and often not even that person- it is an excellent quote and one that everybody that is claiming how hurtful words are needs to remind themselves - it is words and nothing more and has no real power. Take the quote for its intent to remind you that what somebody says has no power but what you give it and it makes a lot of sense- take it as a literal thing and argue that words do hurt and you have missed the point as well as found the key to solving some of your issues- learn to stop giving away your power to others when they are no more valuable than you as an individual, so there words have no more power than yours. It boils down to a simple self esteem issue. If you have a strong self esteem then words have little effect, if you do not then they take huge meaning and significance. The words are not hurting, you are hurting yourself by deciding to believe them.