Stigma...it starts here.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by itmahanh, Oct 17, 2009.

1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Everyone is always shouting about the "stigma" surrounding mental health issues and suicide. The very members of this forum, Hell even me. So why do we of all people feed into it?

Mental instituation, nut house, phsyc ward it goes on and on. Great for those of us that have been there. But what about the new members. The young members, the frightened members? It is a mental health facility.

And there are all the horror stories of what happened while we stayed there. Me included. But what about the success stories? The people that have received help and resources from their stay. Instead of writing volumes of all the negative ....just dont. If you didnt have a good stay could it be because of the state of mind you were in when you stayed? Granted there are incidents of the "Ripley's Believe it or Not" stays. I know I've encountered my share. But there have also been many good points to my stays. Most notedly the other patients. Sort of like being here. If your stay was not good then just say " didnt work for me, but not saying you may not benefit from it," or something to that ilk.

We of all people know what and how mental health issues are seen by others as so negative. So why do we continually feed into it? Let's start to turn the image around. Show the world that having mental health issues DOESNT make you much different than the person down the block, the other studuents in the school. How many people here, if you were to walk up to your neighbor and say " I suffer from mental health issues" would shock the Hell out of those people? They wouldnt of had a clue. You are soooo normal to them. And chances are your neighbor has a few mental health issues of their own. Uh huh!!! Oh we suffer on the inside but to the rest of them we are normal. So please stop feeding into the stigma of mental health. Start here by sharing your experiences but leave out the names and scare factors when you can.

It's a mental health facility. Not a nuthouse lock up. You have mental health issues. You're not crazy. And you are no different than most of the people out there. You'd be amazed to find out just how many people you know are fighting the same issues. Let's get these skeltons out of our closets and deal with them. Half the battle with stigmas is just that. Dont hide them away, show them for what they are and others will soon see that too.

Okay, rant over. Agree, disagree I really dont care. Just please stop using all the negative names and titles atleast here. I'm the first to say "guilty." And the first to say I'm going to make a conscious effort not to anymore. Think about the new member that is reading them. Already scared and thinking they are the only one. Cant we use a little effort to show them they arent? And that there is help out there for some people? It starts here!!!!

2. elleanne

elleanne Well-Known Member

I spent the vast majority of my time between 11-16 in Adolescant Psychiatric Units. I saw people try to kill each other and themselves. I saw people attack staff members. I was one of three girls who had to be repeaedly restrained to have nasal gastric tubes inserted and have IV fluids. My life was repeatedly saved by staff (who really were great).
    After a very traumatic experience at the age of 17, I spent 10 and a half months in an Adult Psychiatric Ward (which was shared gender to start with, then it became just a female ward). It has been closed down now (I was the last patient in it before it was turned into £250,000 appartments). I was repeatedly threatened with being sent to the State Hospital. Thankfully, it never happened. Another patient cut herself (she was`nt a self harmer) and proceeded to slash my leg, telling me I was a "fu*king little freak who deserves to get HIV". Another one had a false eye she threw at me at every oppertunity. There was the positive of drug swapping.
    I was in two private Eating Disorder Units. One was awful, one was great.
    I have been in the local IPCU (Intensive Psychiatric Care Unit) and acute wards repeatedly. Every time, I have seen dead patients being carried out(one being my best friend).
    Two years ago, someone harmed themselves in the waiting room where I see my Psychiatrist. There was huge blood stains in the carpet and walls. Only last month did they replace the carpet tiles.
    So, excuse my honesty in explaining my experience.
    I believe in personal responsibility. I fu*ked up, by ending up in these places. I fu*ked up by not recovering. It is not the systems fault that I am a waste of space, it is mine.
    I know that some people have very good experiences within mental health care.It is up to them to share them. Why don`t they? Because they dont spend their time on forums discussing suicidal ideation - they are `cured` / `normal`. That is a very small part of my problem. Oh, but I might offend someone so I should shut up about it?

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are good institutions and bad ones like any thing else I am grateful for the ones that finally helped my twin after 40 yrs she is better and strong now. I would have to say my daughters last stay although brief was beneficial her medication change seems to have helped her some but she has only been home a day. She had to be locked up because she was unsafe to herself. they kept her as safe as they could. more than the other institution need. I am grateful for the doctor and nurses who seem to really care there but it is a short term stay and their hands were tied so she had to come home. If it were not for this hospital my daughter would still be unstable

4. itmahanh

Hey elleanne I'm glad you were able to post about those experiences. And yes there are many people that have had as bad. I'm not in any way trying to censor members from posting them. But I would like people to try and make the effort to eliminate the "names" or "titles" that are often associated with mental health issues, the people that suffer with them and the facilities that try to help. I'm personally tired of hearing "You're f*ucking nuts" or "You should be in the looney bin". I'm not nuts..... I'm bipolar. And I dont need the looney bin I need a mental health facility. Just think we could make especially the new members feel a little less scared of what they have or are if in a place like this we didnt so frequently use such negative terms. I know just a dream but I'm gonna try.

You talk about it all you need to hun. Get the posts out and let others try to help. Dont shut up because of others. Scream if you need to. And who knows maybe one day you too will be "cured" or "normal". Then you can return here and help others through your experiences. Many members that have found help and are moving forward come back here to post and let others see that it is possible. I hope that your traumas can be beaten hun. I'm a pm away if you ever want to talk about it.

5. elleanne

elleanne Well-Known Member

yeah...please don`t call me `hun`,you don`t know me, and if you did you would`nt have endearing little nicknames for me.
    No, I won`t be cured or normalised. I am just wasting time until I die.I might as well waste some of it here.
    I don`t believe I am mentally ill. Rather, I think that the system has tried to classify me as such. Why? Because society has a problem with the mad, bad and ugly so they have to be `disordered`, instead.
    Who gives a f****? Not me, anyway.

6. itmahanh

Alright no more hun. Bad habit of mine. How's sweetie do for you? :dry:

You seem to have so many issues. To bad you dont want to post about them and let other members help if they can. Or even use the site as a venting board. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009