Stigmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

xToxThexGravex

I've recently been diagnosed with clinical depression. I try to put on a happy face for others, but it's something I can't do when I feel like this. Everybody always used to say "dude, if you're so depressed, why don't you kill yourself". I have tried twice with no physical repercussions (thankfully), but it just makes me even more depressed when people either write me off as a psycho, or just don't care. I get angry about it sometimes, causing me to lash out uncontrollably. That's when people start shoving me away because they're afraid of me.

I sometimes lay awake and wonder "Is it worth the third time's the charm?"

I'm not a bad person, honest...

cownes

people are always to fast to class depressed ppl as psycos, but the matter of the fact is, 1 in 4 people have some type of mental health problem, its being almost normal to have one, there is however a negative stigma carried with having depreession, or another type of mental health problme, it is about time that people started to help these people, rather than pushing them to one side. :hug: keep posting, u deserve help and support :arms:

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
I have schizoaffective disorder. I know what it's like to be stigmatized. My ex wife didn't understand when I was hallucinating one night. She honestly thought I was trying to kill her. It's too bad that all I could say during the court proceedings shortly thereafter was that the medication is working now.

It's too bad that I cannot see my kids because of what happened that night.

nolonger

Yea it can infuriate me when you're frowned upon or laughed at because of what you're going through. The term Emo tends to be thrown around way to fucking much. Lucky enough I don't have a gun of soughts. If I did I'd probly shoot the dick head right in the face. :huh:

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I feel for you it is hard when people say stupid things like that. The are so uneducated. I am getting help with my anger outbust too i see psychologist now it has helped me deal with the depression as well. I hope you are on some meds as it has help me just started on cipralex and the therapy helps
Hopefully in time people will realize depression is an illness chemical imbalance just like other illnesses take care

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
One reason why I haven't sought treatment for my depression is because of the stigma. Any mental health issue carries a lot of stigma in my culture. I'm supposed to be perfect, I'm supposed to just get over it. They have no idea how hard it is. I didn't even know or realize what its like until I had it and still have it. Even a part of me still feels ashamed that I have depression and that I'm "not supposed to have it".

But these issues affect everyone, it doesn't discriminate. A culture shouldn't think that if you ignore it or wish it away, it will go away.

cownes

I didn't even know or realize what its like until I had it and still have it. Even a part of me still feels ashamed that I have depression and that I'm "not supposed to have it".
this could have been me writing this, i have to admit that i am ashamed to be seeing a psyc, and only 3 people in my life no i am seeing one, one of them being my mom, who has to take me to appointments, depression is jsut like any illness, needs treamtnemt but if u had the flu, i bet we all wouldnt be ashamed to tell people that, purely as it does not carry the negative stigma. it just doesnt help the person suffering from it.

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
Yeah, its a shame that these physical diseases carry no stigma and yet these mental diseases do. They need to be treated just like a physical disease but often are not due to the stigma and shame they carry. It is a real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00