Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ~Nobody~, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Just wanted to ask, do cuts only need stitches if they won't stop bleeding? Or can deep cuts that have stopped bleeding fine still need stitches to make them heal?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
  2. Yes, cuts that are too deep/wide need stitches, bleeding still or not. :)
  3. ~Nobody~

Thanks for answering :). I hate to be weird and graphic, but how do you know what is too deep?
  4. You'll see white bits probably.
    And obviously it would be very puffy around the outside.
    Red most likely.... and it might take a while to bleed..
    *sorry for myself being so graphic!*
  5. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

You can see bone, and if the bleeding dose stop it'll be grey inside. The wound will not only be deep it will be spread quite wide.
  6. worthless78

worthless78 Member

i dont go get stitches.
    i use forcepts and superglue.
    it works faster and is alot cheaper.
    and then after about 2 or 3 days you will see the skin starting to heal
    thats when i use neosporin.
    i also clean my cuts very well before i close them.
    peroxide works good. i dont use soap cuz it leaves residue.
    and can get infected later.
    i have yet to get an infection from my method.

i wait untill it stops bleeding before i clean it.
    lol otherwise the super glue wont stick to anything.
    and super glued blood is kinda odd looking.
    i just use clean napkins/towels to soak up the blood from the cut.
    untill it stops bleeding.ive bled for 4 hours once.
    not slit wrist bleeding.

one of my last cuts was pretty bad and could have used like 4 or 5 stitches.
    its healing nicely. its not even all swollen.
    i did however shave the hair from around my cut with my knife.
    this way the hair doesnt lay in the cut and collect dirt.
  7. worthless78

worthless78 Member

and the severity of the cut dependson the rate of bleeding.
    fast bleeding and not slowing after about 20minutes...might not be good.
  8. Always Alone

Always Alone Guest

I heard of people doing that, but I have to ask, wouldn't super-glue be really bad for the wound, and hurt like fuck?

As far as I am aware super-glue works by melting the two sides to be stuck together and then when the are pressed together they start to solidify and thus stick together. Sounds nasty when I think of that happening with skin.

Any special sort of super-glue you use?
  9. NoRegrets

NoRegrets Well-Known Member

I've tried the superglue. It hasn't worked out well for me. I would suggest stitches..

Better off in the long run, I believe. At least for me.
  10. Just_visiting

Just_visiting Well-Known Member

The superglue thing really isnt a good idea! Even if you clean it really well there is still the risk that there is some things left in the wound and if u then 'glue' this u risk SERIOUS infection. Also the glue can seriously mess with any nerves that may have been hurt when u cut. Getting stitches is deffinately the best aproach.

If u can see white in the cut then it most likely needs stitches. This is because u hav cut through all the skin layers (there r 6) and r now into the fat underneath. Cuts will still heal if u do not get stitches however it wll take a long time, be very painful and leave a very nasty scar. On the other hand if the cut wont stop bleeding or is bleeding quickly you should get medical attention immediately.

If you do not want to get stitches (i never do) u can buy steri-strips from most chemists. they r like little sticky strips that u stick of the wound to pull the edges together. These rn't as good as stitches but can b used if u dont have another option.

Hope you are ok
    Take care
  11. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

You can tell its deep if u can see the flesh underneth its kinda like a sponge.
  12. ~Nobody~

Thanks for all the advice guys! It's really helpful :).

Worthless78, the superglue thing sounds painful... but then I guess so do stitches. I think I'd be too scared of the potential for infection to try that myself though.

No Regrets, what happened when you tried using superglue?

Lonely_One, do steri-strips actually work on cuts that are particularly wide? I've thought about buying them before but they don't look as though they'd work on anything that deep. Of course I wouldn't know though. Also, do they come off as soon as they get wet?

I must say, one thing I'm very very disinclined to do is go to A&E for stitches. Ever. I'm sure it's the sensible thing, but, well, I'm sure you all know what I mean. Have any of you been to A&E for treatment of a self-inflicted cut before?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the replies. Keep them coming! :)
  13. worthless78

worthless78 Member

the super glue doesnt hurt.
    it comes off after about 2 or 3 days.

i also dont put super glue IN the cut. just ON it.
  14. ~Nobody~

Okay guys, I now have two cuts that apparently (according to all the information I can find online) should be stitched.

However, the sites also say that cuts have to be stitched within eight hours of being made. So what am I supposed to do?

My questions for No Regrets and Lonely_One still stand too, if either of you two are about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.