Stop smoking?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hurted, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Has anyone stoped by cutting down?

I am currently trying this way.... In past year i ussually smoked between 25-35 ciggarets daily, it depends how i was feeling...

In last month i manage to come to 20. I start with 25, and than 1 less every 7 days:)

2. danni

danni Chat Buddy

yea I have went to pack a day and now a couple days, I know smoking is a very hard thing to cut down but u can do it :hug: keep us a update on how u are doing.

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

It is very hard... ive been trying 2 years:)
    This time i know i will manage to stop.
    In worst case i will just stay on 20 ciggarets... but i know that i wont smoke more...
    My goal is 10 ciggarets daily after 1 year:)

And thanks for support:)

4. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

I never smoked and ill never will. My father surprisingly just stopped smoking 2 months ago. :smile:

5. 643921

643921 Active Member

It can work, and seems to be for you so keep it up and you'll get there in the end. Hope it works out for you :)

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

2 ciggarets left for today.

3 hours before bed:laugh:

Thanks for posting:)

7. JBird

JBird Well-Known Member

I don't know who said it but they said the best way is cold turkey. Obviously if your smoking a lot then cut down but when you get to half of what you used to smoke i reckon you should then go cold turkey.

I'm only wee so i guess you can say i'm not hooked on it, but y'know, been smoking for a looooooong time. I wen cold turkey last Wednesday, haven't touched one yet.

8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

The truth is that the only reason to keep cigarettes around is to smoke them.

And yes. I tried cutting down for years. What would happen is that I'd do pretty good for a while and then I'd get stressed out or depressed about something and smoke a whole pack in 3 hours.

What you have to do is admit to yourself the reason you want to try and quit by cutting down is that you don't really want to quit at all.

It does help some. It will probably help you get used to going for longer periods of time without nicotine. But the simple truth is that you won't stop until you realize that you will (probably) never quit as long as you keep making excuses to keep smoking.

I know what it's like. Smokers enjoy smoking. I enjoyed it. I miss it. But it had to come to a moment of determination. I had to say no to "Just one more". You won't quit unless you want to. But it takes even more than just wanting to. You have to be willing to suffer the terrible cravings for several days until they start to ease up. Every time you smoke a cigarette, you're starting the cycle all over again.

Just remember. Your smoking habit started with just one. If you smoke that next one, you are not going to want to stop there.

Cold turkey really is the best way. It will be insanely hard for about 4 days and you'll feel like you're losing your mind. You just need to know that so you're prepared for it. Try to take a week or so off from your normal activities. When the cravings start to ease up, the benefits of quitting will be amazing. It's well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for answer.

But, this is way is just fine for me.

I know what you mean, i tryed this before, many time in past 20 months...

But this time it really works... All things in my life are changing and i have more self discipline...

You are right about one thing. I am not ready to stop now.
    Thats why i want to lovew dose...

After all, is better to go on turkey with 10 than 30, isnt it?:)

I guess ill have to wait little longer for results:)

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I would still urge you to quit completely as soon as you can. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious ex smokers because I do know how hard it is. But the addiction can blind you to reality. It isn't doing anything for you.

11. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

It's great you're cutting down, doing it gradually should minimise nasty side effects and such :biggrin:

12. Theory

Theory Well-Known Member

i've tryed... now its 1 smoke every morning whilst waiting for the bus. today i didnt, and yesterday either. so i dunno.. i hide it all iside my VHS cases behind books. so father cant find and its harder for me to get to it so it kinda stops me a bit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.