Story of my life

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Deynus, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deynus

Deynus Guest

It is good to be a cynic — it is better to be a contented cat — and it is best not to exist at all. Universal suicide is the most logical thing in the world — we reject it only because of our primitive cowardice and childish fear of the dark. If we were sensible we would seek death — the same blissful blank which we enjoyed before we existed.
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest — whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories — comes afterward. These are games; one must first answer.
    Albert Camus I dun busted up ma chiffarobre. My brotheris a cowish boon. Help me, the phonz severed my pheniz
  2. Deynus

Deynus Guest

No one dun got a reply for ma?
  3. Robin

Robin Guest

The question whether it is better to be dead or living is answered by the choice we offer ourselves for surely without life there is no choice. I'd rather have the choice than no choice at all. As it is we each of us stand as a miracle, never once before and never to be again, we are given a brief chance at existence out of an eternity, do we blow the candle out ourselves or do we prepare a better way for those that are yet to come?
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Deynus, you lost me somewhere in your post. I would like to understand what it is you are trying to portray through your words. Can you clarify things for me to help me understand? I would greatly appreciate it. :hug:
  5. That hurt my head...

I'm going to bed.

HA! I can make a rhyme

Sorry, :eek:fftopic: Seriously, that confused me, so I'm gonna go to sleep and try understanding it again tomorrow.
  6. Flight

Flight Well-Known Member

Albert Camus narrows it down perfectly.

Existence seems to cause us both pleasure and pain. Forget anything else, and judge whether the pain of living outweighs the happiness. When it does, suicide is our natural inclination, as we are naturally inclined to avoid pain.

Mr. Lovecraft feels that pain does indeed outweigh pleasure in life. The only thing that keeps us alove in times like this is fear. Fear of the uncertainty of death. Questions such as "Will I go to hell? Can't it get better?" and so forth.

Then it seems you have a reference to "To Kill A Mockingbird," and forgive me here, I'm probably stretching and seeing that which is not there - but - King Lear act IV? Your brother fears death and doesn't want you to die?

And what is the end, Happy Days? I am not well versed there, forgive me.

So, the story of your life is that you feel too much pain and want to die, but you cannot yet bring yourself to because you fear the uncertainty. Your brother wants you to live, because he doesn't understand your pain. You feel like you are being charged for a crime you haven't committed, because people single you out. And Fonzie stole your lunch?

Hah, I'm probably way out to lunch... I always overanalyze things. :dry:

Regardless, I like Albert Camus. Just remember one thing though - you may have eternity to be dead, and only a short life. There are ways to try to 'force' more pleasure or eudaimonia out of existence. It's difficult; but even more impossible without existence. Time is a wonder, which means that the current state of your existence will not always be true.

That is, if you believe in time.

Also, if existence does not end with death, then you have perhaps solved nothing but made yourself experience death (and the pain that I'd assume generally comes with that)

"ay, there's the rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.