strangulation..possible trigger

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Smashed__, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm not sure if this is considered self harm, but i thought it is.

I've been having issues(since the suicidal thoughts) with strangulation..and the wanting to tighting things around my neck until I just feel something different. It gives a rush, and after a good shameful cry It seems to sooth. anything, rope, belt, dog leash..so the possibibities are everywhere I look.

several nights ago I came into chat because i was so close to doing it again and liuckily some people helped me through it by getting my mind off it. Thank you. :hug: You see my little sister was a cutter, and was locked in a day treatment facility for a short while and that scares me. what happens if someone finds me blacked out with a belt 'round my neck? or sees bruises?

I just don't know what to do, or why it helps. :unsure: advice?

2. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I did the same thing for years and it has messed up my head. You need to stop doing it. :hug: You can PM me if you want to talk. :smile:

3. firelizardee

firelizardee Active Member

anything which leaves a mark on the body is considered self harm. Self harming can be anything really. It would be an idea to ask for help about this as you may end up doing yourself some permanent harm. For instance if you do black out and cut off getting oxygen into your system, you may end up with brain damage or die.

People self harm for various reasons, one is to feel alive, another is to feel some physical pain to take away the internal pain we can't do anything about. Other reasons are that it soothes us, as you have found. It can also calm us down, it can make us feel better. But its all about masking the internal , psychological pain we are feeling, that we are unable to verbalise.

This is just my opinion but you may agree with some of it.

4. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Thanks. I know its bad, or else I wouldn't feel shame. :unsure:
    I keep seeing myself hanging from our oak tree, or dangling from ropes, and anything really. I was at the dentist today and had to wait 30minutes while they worked on m sisters cleaning and X ray..I'm ashamed to admit I almost used the cord on the machine around my neck.

I saw it. I pictured it. and only hesitated because they walk in and out..mum was there..i could hear them talk..I can't take it!!! I look 'down' all of a sudden after a big high and when mum says "whats up?" all I can say is "i don't really know." "i just feel really low." she eeps telling me I DO, deep dow but I don't understand it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.