Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ThornThatNeverHeals, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

(not meant to be sexual) I tend to strangle, and was wondering if there was anyone else out here that does it... i want someone to talk to, so that i can understand and try to stop a bit more... whenever i cut anymore, i immidiately get the urge to strangle.
  2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

hi lazy...I hope you are able to stop the strangling you realize when you cut the oxygen from the brain you can be left with brain damage? only gonna cause you more angst if that happens...
    maybe talk to a therapist or your doctor for some help stopping..
  3. jlc20m

jlc20m Well-Known Member

Have you talked to a doctor or therapist about this? I've read about people accidentally killing themselves when they strangled, having not meant to. This is serious...please speak to someone about this behavior asap.

4. non-existent

non-existent Active Member

Ok, I admit, I did it / do it.

Please think about why you do it. It really is serious. Do you know the reason? Or do you do it to replace cutting?

In my case, it works (and I heard many people use it to replace cutting) but it leaves me with the feeling of concussion (no, no head injuries, each time I did it, I was lying on my bed, and was obeying any rule of safer use, so...). Did not do it for very long periods of time, maybe 1 minute or that, so I don't know why this is the case. So I have the urge to do it all the time, but can't risk to be not able to do school / do sth. with family for several hours.

It can be dangerous if you do it often and in an extreme way >> risk of brain damage.

So, the following facts and safer use tips are not here to encourage you but to keep you from killing yourself without even intending to do so, if you have to do it. Please don't do it.

It can be immediately dangerous if you get unconscious and are not able to breath then, for example when the shawl or whatever you used is fixed around your neck. Never use a belt - it is extremely dangerous.
    If you do, use a shawl (a wide one, not a narrow one), and only take the two ends in your hands - NO nodes or loops. Or use your own hands, but don't touch larynx/thyroid (it is in the middle of your neck, so below or above is less dangerous - but if your thumbs are directly pressing on larynx/thyroid it really is dangerous, much different then a shawl because all the pressure is applied on a very small area). Whatever you do: Make sure once you drop your hands you will be able to breath perfectly again - then the worst thing that can happen is getting unconscious. Also make sure you are lying, not sitting or standing, best on bed/sofa so you cannot get hurt if you really get unsoncious.

So, sorry if there were language mistakes in this text, English is not my native language.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  5. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

thanks non-exist, that helps me alot
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.