• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Empathy Only Stressing

Wispiwill

So today I get to go back to work for the first time since lock-down. Doing something I haven't done for a while = stress. I get to travel - which also = stress. I get to navigate the NEW way of travelling on public transport (social distancing, reduced service, masks, contactless payment which I have NEVER used before). So - lots of new things which are major stressors for me.

So.

I'm stressed.

I KNOW that I'll be fine. I'm only panicking because I haven't done this before and I always worry that something will go wrong (which is why I always plan a backup and often a backup to that as well) - and I've done that. I'm as prepared as I can be. Realistically, I KNOW it'll be fine. Logically, I KNOW it'll be fine. Probability dictates that things will be ok (I'm not going to be the first person to have never used contactless before - I can guarantee that). I WISH that my brain could tell those stupid glands that are producing all those lovely stress chemicals to stop it.

And yes, I'm doing the whole deep breathing thing - which works for about a minute.

So... I'm typing this to help get it out of my system. I don't expect any sympathy or wise advice or anything. I just needed to write it and have it there (well, somewhere anyway).

Plus, since I'm going to be working - I won't be able to around as much so if I'm slow to reply to anything or just go quiet completely - that's why (not that I do much around here anyway).

I'm fine. Really.

Hi. I get stressing; I often stress out when I've never done something before. For some reason contactless payment is a huge stressor for me as well - probably because I use standard forms of payment 99% of the time. The first time is always the hardest but I'm sure you'll be fine. As a bonus you will probably feel great after you manage to do it too. Good luck!

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
Forum Pro
Just sending you very positive thoughts that all goes well for you today...and I too can relate to work = stress. Remember to be gentle on yourself today. Sending you hugs.

Wispiwill

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. As you may have surmised - I survived my first day back. Just got all the other days to get through now but at least the first one's done.

Thanks again.

was about to say good luck- but just seen you've done it already! well done :)
I understand you, I'm the same with new situations, always thinking of every little thing that could go wrong or be awkward and making backup plans. It's so annoying and anxiety-inducing but we always get through it fine normally dont we :)

Wispiwill

I just wish I could get my mind to stop telling me all the things that can go horribly wrong with things. Or, better still, accept that I'm as well prepared for a situation as anyone and that even if it did go badly, it's not the end of the world.

And thanks for the good luck you intended to send :)

I just wish I could get my mind to stop telling me all the things that can go horribly wrong with things. Or, better still, accept that I'm as well prepared for a situation as anyone and that even if it did go badly, it's not the end of the world.

And thanks for the good luck you intended to send :)
yeah, I understand, it's hard to deal with and frustrating *hug
at least we're better prepared than most people! ♥

Daphna

Ninja of light
So today I get to go back to work for the first time since lock-down. Doing something I haven't done for a while = stress. I get to travel - which also = stress. I get to navigate the NEW way of travelling on public transport (social distancing, reduced service, masks, contactless payment which I have NEVER used before). So - lots of new things which are major stressors for me.

So.

I'm stressed.

I KNOW that I'll be fine. I'm only panicking because I haven't done this before and I always worry that something will go wrong (which is why I always plan a backup and often a backup to that as well) - and I've done that. I'm as prepared as I can be. Realistically, I KNOW it'll be fine. Logically, I KNOW it'll be fine. Probability dictates that things will be ok (I'm not going to be the first person to have never used contactless before - I can guarantee that). I WISH that my brain could tell those stupid glands that are producing all those lovely stress chemicals to stop it.

And yes, I'm doing the whole deep breathing thing - which works for about a minute.

So... I'm typing this to help get it out of my system. I don't expect any sympathy or wise advice or anything. I just needed to write it and have it there (well, somewhere anyway).

Plus, since I'm going to be working - I won't be able to around as much so if I'm slow to reply to anything or just go quiet completely - that's why (not that I do much around here anyway).

I'm fine. Really.
There are many adjustments to get used to now. I agree completely. Happy you are able to get some normalcy back into your life.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yay for getting through the day okay, its natural to worry about change to some extent, I hope everything stays okay for you, keep us posted and keep us updated of course. You can do it :)

Wispiwill

Thanks everyone. Not sure what else there is for me to say.

Finished the first week now (I only work 3 days). Lots of changes but mostly ones I was expecting (I work in non-essential retail). Next hurdle comes next week when we actually open to the public and have customers. THEN we get to see if managements plans actually work.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00